՞՞164՞՞

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets from Nick's words. I had to pull him to the corner where George wouldn't see us before I could say anything.

"Don't tell George." That was my instant reaction to the situation.

"Why would I tell George?" Laughing, Nick tried to walk past me with a smirk on his face, "And why are you scared of him?"

I got frustrated and smacked his arm when he started laughing again. But with a bit more talking and convincing him to act natural and forget about what happened, we finally got somewhere.

As I got to the bedroom, Clay wasn't there. He was already up and brushing his teeth. Waiting for him to finish and come back, I regretted the choice of bringing orange juice with his pancakes. It's gonna taste like shit with the toothpaste aftertaste.

It wasn't long until he came back. A smile appeared on the gloomy outlines of his face, which at first I thought was a result of seeing the food, but then quickly realized that he hadn't even looked at the food once. He was looking at me.

"I brought you pancakes! With nutella and bananas!" I was maybe too excited to point out the obvious.

Clay took steps towards me with the precious smile still adorning his complexion. Soon he cupped my cheeks with both palms and pressed them together, making my lips form into a pout and pop out.

"You're my pancake," he was now babying me for some reason, "and my nutella."

I scowled, kind of annoyed from the babytalk, but flustered by it regardless.

"What about the banana?" I blurted out with difficulty, cause my cheeks were still pressed together.

"I'm your banana," and this got out of control way too rapidly, "your long, thick ban-"

I slapped his hands down with so much force that it made him shut up and laugh at his own stupid joke.

However, we couldn't even take a single bite from our food when someone knocked on the door. And judging by the messy footsteps of George and Nick, I could tell that they weren't going to open the door until we'd get there.

But even with this situation, Clay wasn't in a hurry at all. He spread a spoonful of nutella on a pancake, folded it in a way that it shrunk in size enough for him to shove the whole thing into his mouth. And I'm not even sure if he chewed that or not, cause the whole thing disappeared in a matter of seconds.

"Stop eating!" I pulled from his wrist as he went for another bite, "Someone's at the door."

"They could wait.." He huffed, turning around and walking to the opposite direction - towards the door.

When we went to the living room, another round of knocking got heard. Nick and George were still hiding to not answer the door.

"Why aren't you opening it?" Clay whispered, scared that something might've happened that we weren't aware of.

"Your house, your problems." George whispered back, disappearing immediately after his words.

"They're in uniforms by the way." Nick added before they both went to the kitchen, leaving me and Clay at the door.

He didn't even bother to check who it was. Sometimes his impulsiveness amazes me. As the third round of knocking happened, he immediately opened the door without bothering to do something for extra safety. Well, in this case he didn't even do the bare minimum and look out from the hole at least.

We got lucky this time and found people with toolboxes standing at the other side of the door. They were in uniforms, but it's sad that both Nick and George were dumb enough to think the police was at the door, when in reality they were just electricians.

Long story short, they came to check our panel cause the neighbors had been complaining about the duration of the power outage. And after looking for the problem everywhere, they finally found it in our garage.

Luckily the reason behind the whole thing was too absurd for them to suspect anything, so their main guess was that the rain water somehow leaked into the panel and caused all of this.

And they also said that it's gonna take them not less than a few hours to fix it. Which sucks, but we were happy to hear that it was at least fixable.

"Let's just lock the doors, take the car and go somewhere while they work." Nick's request was risky.

"What if they steal something from the garage?" George's voice was low, even though we were far away from the people working on the panel. We were in the house, there were actual walls separating us from them.

"What would they steal? The dirty cat blanket?" Clay's words made me cringe involuntarily.

"Heeey.. you said it's not dirty.." I was sensitive to things like that, and the faint smell of the blanket resurfaced ten times stronger from what Clay said.

"Patches is a good girl, she never pees anywhere except for her litter box." The way he got so defensive was adorable.

Before I could say anything, Nick jumped in.

"Wait.. Patrick's a girl?"

And everything got chaotic in a matter of seconds. Basically George had no idea what was going on, so his remark was out of context.

"Patrick from Spongebob?"

Literal minutes passed from the start of that conversation. Yet the end of it wasn't near.

"And for your information, if we're going somewhere, we have to take Patches with us. I don't want to leave her alone in the house."

I nodded to Clay's words, realizing that we have to choose a place to go which is cat-friendly. But Nick wasn't having it.

"I'm sure they serve catnip in clubs," he rubbed his hands together, "let's go Patrick, we're 'bout to have a good time."

Basically Nick's option of having fun was going to a club, while George was okay with anything that involved drinking.

However and luckily, our plans changed completely when Clay got a phonecall. The first part of the conversation he had were apologies for the fact that Nick's phone was dead. And that made us understand that the call had to do something with the new houses.

It wasn't long until Clay's apologetic tone turned into an excited one. The conversation lasted for a bit longer. Then after thanking the person through the phone, Clay hung up and looked at us with huge eyes filled with so much happiness.

"We're finally getting the keys today!"

Me and George were obviously happy, yet didn't know how to react cause we had to do nothing with the whole process. Nick was the one who had to choose from all the houses, found the best possible option, had to handle so much paperwork. And obviously he was also the one who got the most excited out of all of us.

So excited that he tried to lift Patches up and spin her around. The poor kitten was terrified obviously, scratching Nick and jumping away from his grip with a loud meow.

And moving to a new house was a huge process. Getting the keys now meant we had a long journey waiting for us until we could move there.

And the first step of it all was going there and seeing what we got.