Chapter 103: The Belly of the Beast

(Zane is tending to the Land Bounty while the team are stranded on the rock.)

Jay: (Inside the Land Bounty with Nya and Styx) Ugh, vultures. That's never a good sign.

Zane: (On Communications) They are carrion birds. It is a sign they believe we are a potential meal...

Jay: (Sarcastically) Oh, thanks, Zane. Way to boost morale.

Styx: No kidding.

Nya: Can you guys keep it down? I'm trying to reach Pixal on the radio. Come in. P.I.X.A.L.? Can you hear me? Mayday, mayday! Come in, P.I.X.A.L..

Lloyd: (Walks up to them with Crystal holding a box) Any luck?

Nya: Nothing. There's something wrong with the long-range transmitter, but I can't figure out what.

Crystal: Okay, well... don't give up. 

Nya: Ugh. I'll try.

(Lloyd and Crystal join Cole and Kai outside, carrying supplies.) 

Lloyd: And that's the last of it.

Kai: That's not good. 

Crystal: You're telling me, less than a day's supply of water.

Cole: And the ATV and the Dune Bounty are wrecked. And the Rock Cycle isn't fast enough to outrun those beetles!

Kai: Well, even if it could, it would only carry one of us.

Lloyd: Maybe Nya could draw some water out of the air?

(The four look out at the very dry desert)

Crystal: Yea.........no.

Cole: In this heat? Low humidity? I don't think so. (They turn to the sound of Jay carving a rock.)

Kai: Jay, what are you doing?

Jay: Carving a message on this rock.

Crystal: Why?

Jay: So people know who we are when they find our bones!

Lloyd: (Cole facepalms) Can we try to be a little more optimistic, please?

Zane: I'm afraid there's little cause for optimism. Our situation is dire. The Bounty's engine will not start without the Thermolytic Inverter.

Cole: The therma-what?

Zane: It is a critical engine component.

Kai: Well, what's wrong with it?

Zane: It is missing. I believe Beohernie ripped through the hull.

Jay: Bernie.

Zane: (Ignores Jay) He tore that component out and swallowed it.

Jay: Ugh. Well, that's just great! First, a giant beetle tries to eat us alive. Then, we smash into a pile of rocks. (Storms off, complaining, while the ninja keep talking.)

Lloyd: Can't we use the ATV's converter?

Zane: It was also damaged.

Crystal: What about the Rock Cycle's converter?

Zane: It isn't adequate for a vehicle the size of the Dune Bounty.

Jay: Useless pile of (Kicks a rock.) unh! Aw, this stinks! (Kicks again, accidentally hurting his foot. Rock tumbles, alerting Beohernie.)