Chapter 67: The Hatching

(In the Temple of Airjitzu, Wu sips his tea.)

Wu: Ah. Another cup please, Misako.

Misako: Okay, but drink it slower this time. Healing Tea doesn't work on a burnt tongue. (He drinks the tea.) Sip! You are quite impatient.

Wu: The same could be said of them.

Cole: Okay, Master Wu, you've had your tea. Now can we talk?

Wu: Ask any question you wish.

Cole: Who did we fight in the Monastery?

Zane: That was Acronix.

Kai: From the painting?

Lloyd: Twins look alike!

Nya: Or was it Krux?

Zane: Is he from the future?

Crystal: How was he able to speed up time like that?

Cole: Or was he from the past?

Jay: Who ate my pudding cup? (The ninja stare at him and Styx facepalms.) What? He said ask any question. I put my name on this. Just because we're in a new dojo doesn't mean we disobey the refrigerator rules! (They stare at him again.)

Crystal: Jay. (Warns)

Jay: Right. Sorry. Guy in monastery. What's his story?

Wu: Well, to answer that, I must begin at the end. It was forty years ago, shortly after the Serpentine Wars. When I was a much younger man. As you know, we fought valiantly, but our enemies were strong, and our powers alone were not enough. It was the discovery of the Magic Flute that allowed us to finally defeat the Anacondrai. Their leaders were banished. And peace was returned to Ninjago.

Past Wu: It is done, brother Garmadon.

Past Garmadon: Indeed, Wu.

Past Wu: Today, Ninjago is finally at peace. A great victory. And one we could not have achieved without each of you, the Elemental Masters. Smoke, Metal, Lighting, Shadow, Fire, Water, and Time!

Cole: Hold on a sec. So that guy at the monastery is an actual Elemental Master of Time?

Wu: No. Acronix was an Elemental Master of Time, like his brother, Krux. (He sips his tea.) After helping us win our hard-fought peace, they betrayed me, Garmadon, and the others. The so-called Hands of Time felt they controlled the most powerful Element, therefore entitling them to rule all of Ninjago.

Nya: What did you do?

Wu: We had to stop them. And it would take all of us. Garmadon, myself, and every Elemental Master.

Kai: Even our parents?

Wu: Of course. Kai, Nya, your mother and father were great fighters, but it appeared even they had met their match. Acronix was a skilled warrior, one of the best I've ever seen, but his real power was his ability to control the forward movement of time. By sending himself forward, he was always ahead of the action, as if he had super speed. However, a slow progression can be just as dangerous. Different power, but equally effective. One Master of Time was bad enough, but like the hands on a clock, there were two. Krux's power was the opposite of his brother's. He could reverse time. It's a huge advantage in combat. Know your opponent's next move, know how to counter it. He could even control time to the point of halting it. Of course, he didn't halt himself.

Past Garmadon: They're unbeatable, brother! How do we stop them?

Past Wu: I don't know. Time is the thread that sews the fabric of the universe.