Chapter 18: Everything Changes Now

I sniffle and wipe my cheeks with my blouse sleeves, approaching Peeta's hospital door.

I drop my bag off my shoulders and grasp it in one hand. I look down towards my shoes as my hand reaches to touch the door.

Can I do this?

I can because he's okay.

I look up, taking a deep breath before pushing the door open.

Peeta is okay. I repeatedly remind myself as his blue eyes immediately meet mine. My mouth slightly drops when I see him. Tears build up in my eyes.

"Peeta.' I murmur. I burst into loud sobs just looking at his poor bashed up body. Sadness fills Peeta's eyes and he extends his arms towards me.

I drop my bag and run up to him, hugging him to the best of my ability. I continue sobbing into his neck.

He doesn't deserve this.

He wraps his arms slowly around me, since he is attached to drips. He also buries his head in my shoulder, taking in my embrace.

"Katniss?" Peeta asks and I look up at him, slowly stopping my sobs. Tears yet still flowing. I kiss his cheek before replying.

"Yeah?"

"Am I okay?" he croaks and I stand up, grasping his right hand.

"D- didn't they tell you?" I stutter and stroke his hand with my other free one.

"No. They told me that it would be better if you did." I gulp and start shaking.

"No, sweetie you aren't. There has been a change to your body." I manage to say. This is so hard.

"What is the change?" he asks, fear filling his eyes.

"The burns you had on your leg, we're second degree. But they were causing more pain then they should have. As soon as you got in they took you into surgery and - and."

"And what?" Peeta asks and I break into tears again.

"They - they had to cut your leg off, below the knee down." I rest my head on his chest and close my eyes.

Why? Why!?

I can make out Peeta sobbing and I look up to his reddening face. I frown and take his head in my hands and place it into the crook of my neck.

"I'm so sorry Peeta." I mumble and I feel my shirt getting wet from the tears the Peeta shouldn't be shedding. He shouldn't be in this bed. He shouldn't now be handicapped. "It's not fair." I comment.

It's just not fair.