Chapter 25: Heartbeat

My grasp on Peeta's hand tightens as we see our baby on the mini screen. Tears fill my eyes as I see and feel our child kick inside of me.

"There it is." Peeta whispers into my ear and I nod, incapable of speaking.

Only 8 weeks until we can see our child, face to face. We hope. We will make it to the 40 week mark.

"It's beautiful, just like you." Peeta comments as I turn my head to smile at him.

"And like you too." I add and he smiles at me too. We share a quick kiss before turning back to the small screen.

"Are you still sure you don't want to know the gender until the birth?" Rachel asks and I turn to Peeta for search for an answer.

"Yeah, we're sure." Peeta answers and I nod.

Peeta and I decided to wait and have our baby's gender a surprise until the big day. I am hugely wishing for a mini Peeta to be in me right now but I always seem to have silly arguments with Peeta as he hopes for a mini me.

"Okay then." Rachel says and breaks my train of thought.

As soon as she presses one of many buttons on the machine, I hear the most amazing music in the world.

Its heartbeat. Fast yet steady.

Peeta breaks into sobs and places his hand ontop of my hand resting on my chest, holding up my shirt.

"Oh Peeta, do I need to stop playing this for you?" Rachel jokes and chuckles. Peeta shakes his head and smiles.

"Okay, the baby is healthy. Just keep being careful. We're getting closer and she is now at risk." Rachel then explains and we both nod.

"Let me get some photos printed off then you can go." Rachel adds and presses another button. She gets up and grabs a few paper towels. She hands them to Peeta, who eventually stops sobbing, and exits the room to receive the images.

Peeta stands up and starts softly wiping away the gel on my belly, like he normally does.

"Are you getting excited?" I ask Peeta and he nods with a wide smile spread across his face. "Me too."

Rachel enters back into the room a couple of minutes later, just as Peeta chucks the used paper towels in the bin.

"Here we go." Rachel exclaims and hands the photos of Peeta. I climb off the bed and we farewell Rachel.

"Be careful you two. See you in two weeks!" Rachel says as we exit her room and towards the hospital exit.

"Don't worry about me being at risk okay? The baby will make it to full term." I reassure Peeta and kiss his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too Katniss."