Chapter 17: Don't Let Him Go

"R-re-?" Peeta tries to ask.

"Yes." I kiss his nose, not wanting to stop his breathing by kissing his lips. I break quickly and see a glint of happiness yet it's all surrounded by pain.

"Miss?" I hear the operator speak through the phone and I place it against my ear.

"Yes?"

"The ambulance is a minute away." That's when I hear the faint sound of sirens. I sigh in relief but it's not all good yet.

"They're here Peeta. Please stay awake sweetie." I say yet he's still jerking in pain. The ambulance approaches us and I squeeze Peeta's hand for reassurance. "I'll be here with you. Always."

Three paramedics approach us, with a roller bed and oxygen tank. A woman from the three paramedics comes up to me and grabs my hand, helping me up. I just stare at my husband as an oxygen mask is placed over his mouth and is picked up and laid on the bed.

They strap him and the other two paramedics wheel him to the ambulance. I break down into the sobs, right next to the woman. "Peeta." I mumble.

"Come on Katniss. You can come with us." The paramedic soothes and she leads me to the back of the vehicle. "It's going to be okay. He's going to be in safe hands." She encourages and I wrap my arms tighter around my body. We approach the back and I see Peeta still in so much pain.

"There is a seat by his head if you want to go sit there." The paramedic says and I nod. I shakily climb onto the vehicle and go to sit on the seat the paramedic suggested. I buckle in and the doors close.

I hold Peeta's head in my hands and lean my head beside his. Tears streaming down my face.
"Peeta, if you can hear me nudge my head." I ask and Peeta does as instructed.

"Okay. Don't speak okay, just nudge my head. Are you excited that you're becoming a father?" He nudges my head as in yes and I smile.

"Do you want to baby to be a girl?" I ask and Peeta nudges my head. I chuckle at his answer.

"Well, I want it to be a boy. Strong and caring like you." I comment and kiss Peeta's nose.

A few sobs escape my mouth. "You're going to be okay. Don't leave me or the baby okay?" Peeta nudges my head twice as to calm me.

"Nearly there." The driver shouts to us and the paramedics get as ready as the cam in a moving vehicle.

"I love you. I know you are strong and you can win this. Please stay with me Peeta."

"A-always." He croaks out and the ambulance stops.

The paramedics get our of their seats and take Peeta out of the ambulance. I get out and follow them, wanting to stay by Peeta's side.

We enter the hospital and I keep getting scared. They go through a hall but I'm stopped. Someone wraps their arm around my stomach.

"Miss you can't go any further."

"NO PEETA! PEETA! DON'T LET HIM LEAVE ME! NO! PEETA!" I scream and burst into tears.

"I need a sedation injection." I hear the nurse ask and I wail again.

"NO! DONT YOU DARE HURT MY FAMILY OR I! PEETA! I NEED YOU PEETA. OUR CHILD WILL NEED YOU! I LOVE YOU! DONT GO!" I scream before a needle is pierced into my arm and I go limp, the world becoming darker.

------------------

I wake up in a white room, a man waiting on the other side. I start hyperventilating remembering what has happened.

Peeta. Burns. Ambulance. Hospital. This child I carry inside of me might not have a father.

The man comes up to me and calms me down. "I believe your Peeta Mellarks wife?" I nod and sit up, still shaking.

"He is okay and is asking for you." I sigh in relief and get off the bed. "But I need to let you know of a change."

My mouth drops and I fall to the floor.

This is not right.

Not for Peeta.