Chapter 10: The Nightmare of a Dream

This seems to have an effect on me, I really don't know what kind.

Hugging Peeta tightly as his hand runs up and down my bare back as we sit, on the makeshift bed.
Tears still fall onto his shirt and soak it slowly. Peeta's left hand holds my neck softly, as he keeps it buried in the crook of his neck.

It hurts, knowing I might be separated from him once and for all by my family and probably will be deciding to end my life if so.

It's scary, we could still be caught.

My shaky hands wrap around even tighter than they already are around Peeta. He senses the tightness and moves so his back is against the wall. His head then leans against mine.

"My poor princess." he murmurs and his left hand slides into my tangled hair. "You're here with me. You're safe." his hand trails down from my back to my waist.

I turn to lie against him and my hands make me ball up his shirt collar.

"Do you want to tell me?" he asks. I shake my head no. The image of my nightmare appears into my head again.

Blood. Knife. Peeta. Dead.

I start sobbing and Peeta tenses.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It's not real Katniss. It never happened." He repeats trying to calm me after realising it was possibly him who pulled the trigger.

I'm Katniss Lauren Everdeen.
I'm 18 nearly 19 years old.
My home was District 12.
I escaped with Peeta Mellark.
My one true love who I'm soon to get married to.
We're both safe. We're both safe.

Peeta kisses my cheek just as I start calming down. My true monologue helping alongside Peeta's apology and reassurance.

My tight hold on Peeta's shirt loosens and I bite my lip, hoping to stop the ongoing sobs that linger.

Peeta removes my hands from him and leaves my embrace. I gasp and stare wide eyed at him.

"No it's okay. I'm not going anywhere." He coaxes and strokes my leg as he moves and lies down.

"Come here." He suggests and I lie down next to him again. He presses me up against his chest and wraps his arms around my body. My hand goes to tangle in his hair and we press our noses and foreheads to each others.

Peeta kisses my cheek and I close my eyes, taking in his warmth and love. "Go to sleep Katniss. I'll be right here when you wake up." He states.

"Promise?"

"Promise." He answers and I let myself carefully find sleep and remember Peeta's promise.

------------------

And there he was when I woke up.