Chapter 33: The Stand

My feet make contact with the gravel, one step closer to our defiance act. I grasp Peeta's hand as we move, trying to be confident. Yet my fear is accumulating my body. I shrink ever so slightly into Peeta's side my fear becoming more noticed.

Peeta kisses my head with reassurance but the nervousness he has is shown.

My parents don't know Peeta and I are together.
Yet alone married and encountered a pregnancy with a premature birth.

I'm so glad that Peeta's family accepted me in, as we are staying there. They are so loving and care for me as they do for their youngest son, my husband. But my parents will be a whole other story.

I stand up straight by Peeta and turn to look at him. "I'll do the talking, unless I break down then you'll have to take over."

"Are you sure?" He questions me.

"Yeah, I need to let out all my pain on her." Her, regarding my mother. She's probably the main reason why I wanted to come back.

"Okay, I'll be right by your side if you need me. You know that." I nod and we are at the foot of the front steps.

My determination builds up and we both head up to the door. I take a deep breath before knocking and we wait.

The door opens up to Poppy. "Oh my gosh Poppy." I breathe and bring her into a hug.

"Katniss." she gasps and her hand tighten around me.

"We can talk later but I need Mother and Dad." I say and she let's us in.

"Where are they?" I say, louder and slightly angry. "I need to see them." Peeta wraps his arm around my waist as we walk inside.

"Katniss." I hear and my attention turns to my Mother and Dad.

"Living room. Now." I demand sternly and point towards the living room door.

"Katn-" Dad starts to say.

"NOW." I shout, anger boiling inside of me and they do as I demand them too. "Don't come in, same for Prim." I tell Poppy and she nods. Peeta and I head into the living room. I slam it behind Peeta, showing my parents my anger and turn to them.

"Sit, down." I ask and they fearfully do as told.

"Tell us the truth." I simply state and they become confused. "Tell us the truth behind the rivalry story. Is it all because I was born in the seam, mother? Is it all because I was born by his father, Dad? TELL US." I have such a huge urge to lunge at them and attack them but Peeta holds me back.

"Yes." My parents say and I turn to Peeta. That is it, what he told me was correct.

"You know what that did to me!?" I start. "THAT RUINED MY LIFE." Peeta's grip loosens, knowing I need to empower them.

"YOU KEPT ME FROM THE NCEST AND MOST CARING GUY ON EARTH. THIS AMAZING MAN AND I WERE SECRETLY DATING FOR 5 MONTHS BEFORE YOU LOCKED ME UP FOR 3 DAYS. THIS AMAZING MAN PROPOSED TO ME DURING THAT TIME." I scream, pointing Peeta. "HE RESCUED ME FROM THAT DARK ROOM WHERE I THOUGH I WOULD DIE. YOU BROUGHT A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLES ON, MOTHER!"

"Katniss that is enough."

"ZIP IT DAD." I angrily say and walk up to mother.

"You know what we did?" I lean over her and watch her slightly shirk into the couch. "WE ESCAPED AND RAN AWAY TO A DISTRICT I AM NOT REVEALING. WE MARRIED THAT WEEK. I FELL PREGNANT THE NIGHT WE ESCAPED AND IM TELLING YOU RIGHT NOW, YOU COULD'VE HAD AN ALIVE GRANDDAUGHTER ON THIS EARTH RIGHT NOW BUT BECAUSE OF YOU! YOU DON'T!" I scream and my face falls, heavily breathing.

I wasn't to bring up about Rose. I turn my eyes from locking at my shocked parents to Peeta. I give him a sign of help.

"Rose Mellark died due to a premature birth at 34 weeks. ALL DUE TO THE STRESS THAT YOU BOTH INFLICTED ON MY WIFE." Peeta screams, I watch as this moment is one of rare ones when he is extremely angry. "I HAD TO MAKE AN INCOME FOR THIS BROKEN FAMILY WE WERE TO BECOME. BECAUSE OF THIS, I HAD AN ACCIDENT WHICH MADE MY LEG BE AMPUTATED. THIS CAUSED MORE STRESS ON BOTH OF US." he walks up to me and I take his hand.

"We both are 90% likely to have PTSD. AND I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU." I add.

"SOME FATHERS HERE IN TWELVE PROBABLY WERE NEVER THERE FOR THE BIRTH OF THEIR CHILD AND IF YOU ARE MAKING UP A RIVALRY JUST BECAUSE MY FATHER WAS WILLING AND KIND ENOUGH AS A FRIEND TO HELP YOU OUT MRS AND MRS EVERDEEN I THINK THAT'S STUPID. YOU KEPT HER AWAY FROM A FAMILY THAT WOULD CARE FOR HER BETTER THAN EITHER OF YOU WHEN SHE LIVED HERE." Peeta finishes.

With both heavy breaths we stop and stare at my parents. I can tell that we are thinking the same thing.

What did we just do?