Chapter 39: The Thank You

We follow a nurse down to Rachel's room. A small bouquet of orange tulips in my grasp.
We have a couple of days to go before we leave District 10 and back to District 12, and a week until a special day.

We stop and I turn to smile up at Peeta. He smiles at me and we share a quick kiss.

"Miss Kennedy, you have a couple of visitors." The nurse says as she knocks on the door and opens it slightly.

"They're not patients that have mistakenly come during my break?" I hear Rachel ask.

"No, they're past patients of yours." The nurse reassures. The nurse soon opens the door wider. She gestures us in and we both smile in thanks before heading in.

My eyes meet with Rachel's and I smile wider. "Hello Rachel."

"Katniss! Peeta! Look at you two!" Rachel exclaims and comes to give us massive hugs.
After hugging Peeta she closer the door behind us. "What brings you two here?" She asks.

"We're actually heading back to our home district in a few days and we just wanted to say goodbye." I answer and hand the tulip bouquet over to Rachel.

"These tulips are gorgeous." Rachel breaths as she take them from my grasp. "Thank you." She thanks before placing them on her desk.

"And also we're here to thank you." Peeta adds and Rachel looks up at us surprised.

"We thank you for all your help you gave us while I was pregnant and in labour. You were able to understand our situation and how hard it was for us to go through it at only 18. Even though Rose didn't make it, I'm so grateful for you to be in our lives during this time. I couldn't have asked for a better midwife." I say and tears spring to my eyes.

"We're going to miss you and really hoped that we could have you again as a midwife if we were staying here." Peeta finishes and tears start rolling down the sides of my face.

"Oh Katniss." Rachel gasps and brings me into another hug. "Even though you were the youngest of my patients I've partnered with , you were truly amazing and so brave. I couldn't imagine anyone else coping through a high risk pregnancy as well as you did." Rachel states and a sob escapes my mouth. I bury my head into her shoulder for comfort and I feel Peeta's hand begin to stroke my lower back.

"But know what? I've got a surprise for you guys." Rachel states and she slowly breaks away from our embrace. I shrink back into Peeta's and watch as Rachel retrieves a box and envelope from one of her desk drawer and grabs one of her business cards.

"If you ever do fall pregnant again. I can always come over to your home district and support you in the nine months. I could become your private midwife if you put it that way." She says, handing over to me her business card. "You know my number but my other details are on there." She adds and I smile, wiping away my wet cheeks.

"Also, the box is locked but they key is inside the envelope. I was going to send this to you but since you're here you can get it now. I thought you might have wanted it."

"What's in the box?" Peeta questions.

"She is." Rachel answers and I gasp.

"Rose?" Rachel nods and my hand flies to my mouth. "Peeta." I stutter, shaking, before I bury myself into his embrace.

"It's hard to hear that I know but I know for sure you'd want to do a mini funeral of some sort for her. You two were so attached for the half an hour you met her in. I couldn't just let her go from you." Rachel comments and I stare at the box in Peeta's hand.

"My break is nearly over now but how about I take you two to a lunch tomorrow? I would love to talk to you two more before you go."

"Sure." Peeta answers, I notice his hand shaking. I look at the box closer and see engraved in the side is her information, some we never found out.

"Well, I'll see you two tomorrow." Rachel breaks me out of my stare as she kisses my cheek. She smiles sweetly at me before hugging Peeta. We exit her room and it hits me. Rose is with us once again.