Chapter 34: Their Shame

I shrink into Peeta after our outburst. He wraps his arm around me and kisses my head. My eyes staying trained on my parents.
Tears start springing from my mother's eyes. The softest I've ever experienced of her.

"W - We were grandparents?" She stutters. All she cares about is that right now!? What about me, her daughter that has PTSD? I nod at her and grab my phone from my small bag. I unlock it and surf to find the photo.

Landing on it, I start shaking and pass my phone to my mother. I watch my parents soften so much at the photo of our dead Rose Mellark.

I burst into sobs all of a sudden and my knees buckle. I take Peeta and myself to the floor.
"YOU WOULDN'T HAVE WANTED THIS FOR ME? FOR US? WOULDN'T YOU!?" I scream and my parents turn to see me in my broken mess.

"Mother. You abused me since I was five until I was 18, just because I was born in the Seam. I still have bruises and scars from what you did and Peeta and I have to live with these memories that have been permanently marked on my body. If Rose was still here, you wouldn't have wanted me to explain to her that her grandmother hated me so much when I was her age? Wouldn't you?"

"Dad. You loved me but just because you hated Peeta's Dad when he helped Mother give birth to me you made me be separated from the man that I truly and deeply love. For your first daughter I think that's a crime and being forced to date someone else, an even bigger one. Why did you both want to ruin my love life?" My Dad looks away from us in shame.

"Parents are supposed to love their children, not segregate one of them. Where were those parents? Why weren't you them?" I state and turn my head to bury it into Peeta's neck.

"If my parents have been able to accept that we unconditionally love each other and are married with a new life, shouldn't you? Wouldn't you want to let your daughter be happy with me without you disapproving behind her back? Can't you just let go of the rivalry? For our sake." Peeta pleas and I sniff. My arm moves to wrap around his neck.

"Let us have a life where we don't have to stress and be weary of the rivalry." Peeta adds and I nod, agreeing and signalling him to stop to let me parents draw to a conclusion. Peeta places me on his lap and wraps his arms around me.

"We've done everything we can. They just have to decide. Whatever they say, I'm not leaving you." Peeta murmurs into my ear and I nod, receiving a short kiss from Peeta.

Minutes go by, not in silence but in near inaudible talking from my parents.

"Peeta, I'm scared." I whisper to him.

"I am too but it's okay. We'll still have each other no matter what." Peeta whispers back to me. I press my nose against his and close my eyes in comfort.

"Katniss. Peeta. We have come to a conclusion." My Dad says and we both turn to see my parents.

"We have come to the conclusion that, we accept that you're married together and love each other too much to break away. So, we declare that this rivalry is broken and you are free to live a happy life with no abuse and segregation. Welcome to the family Peeta." I gasp and turn to look at Peeta.

Tears run down both our cheeks once again and we share wide, open smiles.

I bring my lips to his and hold his cheeks in my hands. Still kissing, Peeta stands up with me in his arms. He slightly struggles on his prosthetic. Once we're standing, he spins us around in joy. Then is when I feel a huge block of fear and stress is lifted off my body.

"Peeta." I shakily start as we break our lips away and stop spinning. I open my eyes and see he is shaking also.

"There is no rivalry." I finish and starting crying in joy.

"There's no more rivalry." Peeta exclaims and we hug tighter than we had before.

We are free.