Chapter 2: In The Pouring Rain

Listen to Mistaken Identity by Delta Goodrem while reading this chapter! (It is basically's Katniss' song for the duology!)

Completely soaked, we stop so Peeta can pick up his bags. I can see them easily and he quickly slings them over his shoulders.

I look back at my house, well is it really mine anymore? I feel Peeta grab my hand once again shortly afterwards and he tows us away from the placed I've called home my whole life.

I turn my head back and Peeta pulls me, so that I become in front of him. We both dogde branches that come in our way. Leaving marks on any bare skin.

Thunder clouds rumble above us and we continue to run. And run. And run. Getting away as quickly as we can, just incase we are getting chased.

A flash of lightning comes seen in my eyes and I stop in my tracks. Peeta slams into my back and I fall to my knees. I start shaking, knowing how I'm not safe.

I feel Peeta's arms slips around me and help me up, murmuring calming phrases into my ear. I force myself up, on the verge of tears.

Standing on my feet once again, determination and anger overcome my whole body. Peeta's worried about what's happening. I clench my fists and scream to my mother, my head tilted towards the sky. "I HATE YOU!" Peeta's hands slide up to my shoulders and I relax, my head dropping towards to the ground.

Who am I anymore? This isn't who I was a week ago. Or even an hour ago. The girl I used to be, the one that was innocent to the world, is gone. Yesterday's me is not what people will see. What I was is gone. I'm now free and able to scream my feelings. I'm free. Am I an innconcent girl, forced to be abused? Because that is no longer me. I'm new, no one could ever come close to controlling me into lies and torture again. I'm not longer in a cage.

Peeta's hands slide around my body and I lift my head. Seeing his blonde hair now flat against his head due to the rain.

"I'm free." I murmur and a smile spreads across my face. I embrace Peeta, ignoring the still pouring rain.

"Okay, we can celebrate later. Because Katniss. We need to run." Peeta retorts and I pull away.

"Sorry. Just had this feeling I never knew come over me." I apologise, removing hair from my face. Peeta smiles and we share a small kiss.

"Come on." Peeta states and we take off running again, our fingers entwined with each others.

Running, I seem to feel completely different. The trapped feeling I've felt since six years old has finally left. Eighteen years later. Gone. Leaving me with a feeling I have yet to discover.

The dark and grey world doesn't help but I can start to see the clearing. My freedom for tonight. We'll have to leave, it'll be the first place they look.

"Nearly there." I say to Peeta beyond the rain. The thunder and lightning diminishing after my outburst before. Our feet pick up the pace, yet it feels like we were going as fast as we could before.

The trees quickly dissapear and we stop. Peeta and I face each other before slamming into a hug. My mouth drops open and the realisation kicks in.

Here is the beginning of the life I never knew would ever happen. Peeta and I separate and the rain stops. Peeta and I chuckle before walking towards the lake house.

We walk up the few steps to the door when we reach it. Peeta enters in first and I follow after him. I close the door behind me and lean against it. Sighing in relief.

I see Peeta remove his bags and dumps them on the ground beside him. He turns back and walks right up to me.

"Peeta-" I manage to say before his lips are against mine. I feel his hands rise to my shoulders and he slips the bag straps off my shoulders. One bag falls to the ground and he breaks the kiss to remove my duffle bag, it landing beside my other bag.

"Peeta." I say again.

"You're free now, aren't you?" He questions me with a smirk. He presses his lips to mine again and directs me to the bed on the other side of the room.

As we fall onto the bed in a tangled mess the world around me becomes a blur.

Go read my new AU one-shot called Here! You can find it in my works! Beware, it might tear you to pieces.