Chapter 14: The Start of New

I hear the door open and close from the other side of the room. My head snaps to the bedroom door, where the source of the noise is. I hear someone sigh and my heart drops.

"Katniss?" Peeta shouts to get my attention.

"Peeta." I reply and hop off the bed and head to where I find him in the kitchen. He chucks his jacket on the back of one of our dining chairs and drops the keys onto the table.

"Had any luck?" I ask and watch him to look at me. He's been searching for work for the last few days and I'm worried he's not going to get anywhere.

"Guess who got a job." He smiles and I gasp. 

"My baby did!?" I exclaim and run up to him, my mood changing to excited.

"Yup." He replies and I embrace him, wrapping my legs around his body too.  "First thing that I've been offered now. I went straight for it."

"Congratulations Peeta! What have you accepted?" I ask, getting more curious about his outing by the second. I climb off him and go to hold both his hands in mine. Smiling so widely.

"Barn Manager for the horses they use for harvesting the fields. It doesn't sound like much but the pay I'll recieve will get us through." He states before leaning down so we can share a kiss. Breaking apart again, he continues answering. "I don't start for another couple of days so tomorrow, I'll go show you where it is so you can visit me and end up distracting me from my job." I chuckle and hug him, closing my eyes in comfort.

"Well done Peeta." I comment and Peeta tangles his fingers in my hair.

"How are you feeling Kat? Have you improved from the sick state you were in before I left to job search?"

"Yeah, still have the slight sick feeling but it has come down. I'm probably just catching a bug somehow. Nothing major." I feel Peeta nod against my head.

"Now come on, finding a job in the heat is hard work. I'm going to lie down." Peeta says and I break away from his embrace.

"Okay, you head to bed and I'll bring you a drink." I suggest and he smiles, giving me approval. He walks away and towards where I came from.

I grab a clean glass and begin filling it up with water for Peeta. Now, we can start fresh and leave most of our District 12 life behind. Byt there are just some things that Peeta and I won't want to erase.

I push the tap down, finishing filling the cup and walk to our bedroom. As I enter I smile when I see Peeta knocked out already.

I walk around the bed and place the drink on his bedside table. Before I retrace my steps, I kiss his forehead and stroke away blonde hairs falling onto his face.

I walk back to my side and join him on our bed. I place my body against his and lie my arm across his body, soon enough finding sleep as well.