Chapter 12: White Dress and Black Trousers

Peeta pushes one of the huge doors open to reveal a small church auditorium. He places his hand on my back as we walk in and let the door creak slowly to a close.

A man turns to look at us and he can probably see our confused and scared combined looks.

"Hello there. I'm Anthony, the pastor for District 10's church. Do you need anything? Prayer?" the man says, walking over to us and shaking our hands.

"No umm.. We were wondering if you do on the spot weddings?" Peeta asks nervously and I stroke his arm to calm him.

"I haven't done on the spot weddings but I'll gladly do one for you." He says cheerfully and we all smile.

"If you just want to head up onto the stage, I'll be a minute." He gestures towards the stage before walking off. Peeta and I walk towards the stage as directed and I look around.

Multiple colours illuminate the room from the stained glass windows showing images. The sun making them brighter than what they could possibly be.

We end up on the stairs of the stage before I grasp onto his arm. Peeta turns his head. "You okay Kat?" I nod and murmur a yeah in reply to him. I look down to my dress and straighten it out. It's not much of a wedding dress, it only goes just below my knees and is pretty casual anytime dress.

"You look lovely even if it isn't a wedding dress." Peeta comments and I smile, looking up at him.

"You look not to bad yourself in a White blouse and black dress trousers." I state and Peets strokes the side of my head. Our heads turn when we hear someone approaching. We see the pastor come up to us.

"Come all the way up and we can begin." He motions us up and we separate hands and face him.
"I am gathered here in this room on a glorious day in District 10 today to bring -"

"Katniss Everdeen." I answer before he continues.

"Katniss everdeen and?"

"Peeta Mellark." Peeta states.

"And Peeta mellark together for eternity through marriage. Now Katniss, do you place yourself in the position of being this mans wife freely? If say answer with I do."

"I do." I smile and fight the urge to not kiss Peeta.

"Peeta, do you place yourself in the position of being this woman's husband freely? If say answer with I do." The pastor continues and Peeta answers with the two words I want to hear.

"I do."

"As you have put yourselves in place, please face one another and share your vows." The pastor asks and I turn to face Peeta, not taking his hand just yet. "Katniss, you may go first."

"Peeta, I love you so much. You have become my everything since we met at the Hawthorne's dance. The moment I laid eyes on you I knew you were the one I wanted to be with forever. This rivalry our families have isn't going to stop me from having my happy life I deserve so much. Peeta Mellark, you are my hope and lifeline. I will look after you through whatever we face together and I'll always be by your side." I announce my vow and Peeta has tears forming in his eyes.

He smiles at me and murmurs a quick I love you before the pastor asks Peeta to tell me his.

"Katniss, my sweet beautiful Katniss. I can't put into words how much I love you. You have brought love to my soul and I can't ask for anyone else to be standing beside me here than you. Where ever fate leads us, I will follow you and be with you every step of the way. You will never be left alone again. I'll always be there for you. I love you Katniss Everdeen, you bring joy to me, I'm completely new when I'm around you. There is something special about you that makes you who you are and I love that detail about you. I love you."

Tears start running down my face silently and I sniffle wiping them away with my finger.

"Do you possess any rings?" The pastors asks. I look to Peeta for an answer.

"Yes I do." Peeta answers and pulls out two rings from his trouser back pocket. I gasp when I see them, they're beautiful. Peeta hands me the one I'm to give him and quickly examine it, a simple gold band with 'Katniss my hope' engraved inside. I sniffle again and don't realise time is ticking by until Peeta has taken my left hand and has begun speaking again.

"I give you this ring as a token of my love. Wear it forever, knowing that today marks the beginning of our eternal partnership." He slips my wedding ring on my left hand and I quickly look at it, gold again with 'Always ~ Peeta' engraved into it.

"Repeat after me please Katniss."

"I give you this ring as a token of my love. Wear it forever, knowing that today marks the beginning of our eternity." I say after the pastor and shakily slide Peeta's ring onto his hand. I'm about to burst into a sobbing mess and I can see Peeta is in tears.

"I am pleased to pronounce you now husband and wife, Mr and Mrs Mellark. Peeta you may now kiss your bride."

Peeta takes my face in his hands and steps closer to me.

"Is this real?" I stutter.

"This is real." Peeta answers and he brings his lips to connect to mine and we share our first passionate kiss as married. I hear a few claps throughout the room but I drain them away and savour this moment with Peeta.

We separate and we lean our foreheads against one another's. We both break into a huge sobbing mess.

"W- we did it Peeta." I manage to state through uncontrollable sobs.

"Yes. Y- yes we did Katniss." Peeta answers and we wrap our arms tightly around our bodies, not ever wanting to leave his embrace.

I'm Mrs Mellark and my family can't stop me now.