Chapter 43: Protection

"Are you ready for this?" Peeta asks me and we see Peeta's parents enter my parent's living room.

"I - I don't know. They're all going to be shocked. I mean, they're all going to want to do stuff. You know how I am about this time. I -" I stutter, facing him.

"You're not doing this alone, remember." Peeta says, holding my chin in his hand. I nod and he brings his lips to my forehead. I close my eyes and smile as his lips linger.

He breaks away and quickly rubs my small and just showing bump. "Let's go." Peeta states and we entwine fingers before going into the living room.

Everyone is huddled on one sofa and chairs surrounding it, leaving one sofa for us.

Peeta sees my uncomfortable expression and as we sit down, he pulls me closer to his side and rubs my back. I look to him, unsure of what to say.

"So we all called you here to give some news." Peeta starts, getting the connection that I want him to speak. "As you probably know, one and a half years ago we lost our first daughter through a high risk pregnancy and through a premature birth." Peeta continues and kisses my head for some reassurance about bringing up Rose.

"We hope that this one will make it through." Peeta finishes and I give him a small smile.

"Thank you." I whisper before we turn to look back at our families.

"We don't understand -" Peeta's father starts before being cut off by Prim.

"THERE'S A BUMP. KATNISS HAS A BUMP. SHE'S PREGNANT! SHE'S PREGNANT!" She squeals and I give her a smile. The room becomes silent once again and I begin to tense in worry.

"Is this true Katniss? At a month before coming twenty years old, you're pregnant once again?" My mother asks me, everyone unsure of whether to believe Prim's outburst or not.

"Four months along." I inform and now everyone believes it. Both our mothers, Poppy and Prim squeal before rushing over to me. Demanding answers and pleading to touch my stomach.
I cradle my arm around my bump before turning into Peeta. I don't want it all now. The gushing stops at my motion.

"Katniss is being really protective this time round." Peeta alerts them and I can tell they're disappointed.

"I'm sorry." I apologise through Peeta's shirt.

"It's okay Katniss. We understand." My mother reassures and kisses my head before walking back to her seat.

"Sweetie." Peeta starts and I lift my head off his shoulder.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"Can I have some room?" Peeta asks and I chuckle before removing my arm. He sits further away briefly so he can bend down and kiss my belly, where our child is growing.

Awes are filled through the room and I smile wider. Peeta breaks his lips and sits back up. I place my hands on the top and bottom of my widening bump and gaze at the size out baby has grown in three months.

"Look at our baby, Peeta." I breathe and Peeta strokes my belly. "Big and chubby probably. Just like you." I add and we share a short kiss.

Peeta giving me his approval.