Chapter 52: I Can

My eyes immediately open to the dark world and my ears are erupted with her loud pitch cries.
I never realised babies would wake up so much.

It's 3am and Dwyn is only two days old.

I quietly groan and push myself up, revealing some pain below my abdomen.

"Katniss?" Peeta asks, still half asleep.

"Dwyn again." I state, standing up beside the bed. I let out a cry of pain before sitting back down on the bed.

"I'll get her Katniss." Peeta states and gets out of bed.

"What if she'll need feeding?" I question as he approaches the cot, closer to my side.

"I will get Rachel and she can help you." He answers and reaches his hands in the cot to get Dwyn. He picks her up and cradles her in his arms.

"Lie back down sweetie." He suggests to me and I do as he says. Once lying on my side, I lift up Peeta's shirt I'm wearing.

My belly is still big, I still feel heavy. Rachel has now put me on a diet to reduce the amount of swelling my belly still has.
I really feel useless, Peeta and Rachel seem to be doing more than I have and it really bothers me. I've held her inside of for nine months, endured an 8 hour labour and gave birth to her.

I sigh and lower the shirt, looking onto Peeta. I slightly smile when I see him bobbing and cooing to Dwyn.

I see the door open wider and Rachel sticks her head in. "Everything alright?" Peeta nods his head but I shake mine. Showing her how low I feel. Rachel notices and enters the room, coming up to me.

"What's wrong Katniss?" Rachel coos, kneeling beside the bed and taking my hand in hers.

"I want to hold and look after Dwyn. But that's all you and Peeta are doing." I complain and tears spring to my eyes.

"I know but you're still recovering. Hey, how about we let you have some bonding time now?" Rachel suggests and I nod. Rachel helps me sit up and places pillows behind my back.

"Peeta. Katniss wants some time." Rachel alerts to Peeta and he nods.

He slips Dwyn carefully into my arms and I smile widely as she rests in mine. He quiet cries stop and she looks up towards me. Peeta kisses my head before making the lamp light a bit brighter and exiting with Rachel.

"Hello Dwyn. It's Mama here." I greet and she reaches her hands up to me. "You're my beautiful baby girl. Beautiful Dwyn Jessica-Rose Mellark." I add and press my lips to her forehead.

I close my eyes and leave my lips there for a few seconds before breaking away. "If Rose was here, you two would be amazing sisters." I whisper. I stroke her brown hair curls and her eyes close bringing another smile to my face.