Chapter 49: Kindness

Peeta holds me in his embrace, dragging me around in the lake water. My hands making contact with his bare chest. I rest my head on his shoulder as I try to cope through the mild pain.

I've been active for four hours. I've been in labour for four hours. As Rachel has stated, I'm over halfway already.

I still haven't made a decision whether or not to give birth in the lake, if the pain increases rapidly, I might stay in here.

"Peeta?" I question, lifting my head from his shoulder.

"Yeah." Peeta whispers.

"I feel a contraction." I answer and Peeta slowly stretches my body out. I keep my head rested on his shoulder.

"She's having another one." Peeta alerts Rachel and a stinging pain runs through my body.
I let out a small cry of pain and I find Peeta's hand underneath the water. I squeeze it to the best of my ability and start quietly sobbing. It doesn't stop.

"Sshh. You can do this." Peeta murmurs, his free hand massaging the corners of my neck.
When the pain subsides, I shrink back into Peeta's embrace. "It's done." Peeta comments to Rachel and she records it in her notebook.

"I want to go inside and lie on the bed." I ask and Peeta nods.

"Rachel. Katniss wants to come inside." Peeta calls to Rachel, who is sitting by the lakeside.

"Okay, I'll check her when we get inside." Rachel answers back and Peeta wades out of the water, with me still in his arms.

As we both exit the water, Rachel places a towel over my body, as I'm only wearing my swimsuit.

"I'm going to check how far to go then I'll talk to you okay?" Rachel reminds and I nod.
Peeta leads me inside and towards our bedroom. Rachel gets there first and I watch as she rummages for equipment.

"Do you want Katniss on her side?" Peeta asks Rachel and Rachel looks at us.

"Yes. That'd be helpful thanks." Rachel answers and Peeta slowly lies me on my side.

"Peeta, she'll probably have a few hours to go so if you want to change out of those shorts until the birth that is fine." Rachel states.

"Okay. I'll change afterwards." Peeta answers and kneel by the side of the bed. Rachel places a towel under my legs and then she inspects me.

I distract myself from the uncomfortable feeling by playing with Peeta's fingers. He chuckles at the gesture.

"Okay I'm done. You can get changed if you want Peeta." Peeta nods and kisses my head as he gets up. He walks away to retrieve clothing and Rachel takes Peeta's spot.

"Hey, are you feeling okay right now?" Rachel questions and I nod. "No intense pain right now?" I shake my head in a no.

"Good. Okay so, you're a few centimetres away from being fully dilated. So, as your progress rate has gone, you might have a few hours before you go into the bath, I'm assuming, for the birth?"
"Yeah the bath." I murmur. Rachel nods and strokes the side of my head.

"Thanks for coming and doing this again for us." I thank and Rachel smiles.

"My pleasure. I would do anything to help you two during a pregnancy." Rachel answers and I smile. I turn my head when I see Peeta approaching us. With another shirt in his hand.

"I thought you'd might want to wear a shirt of mine." Peeta states and I blush. Rachel and Peeta help me sit up and get into this shirt. My muscles tense and causing some pain.

"Get some rest Katniss." Rachel suggests and I slowly lie back down on my side. I feel the bed dip beside me and I watch as Peeta's arm drapes over my huge belly.

"Hello." I greet and chuckle. Peeta kisses the back of my neck and soon enough, I'm entering sleep.

------------

Officially 10 chapters to go and next chapter...

a Mellark daughter is born!!

But will she survive?