Chapter 6: Continuing

Day 2 of 4.

I'm never going to get through this. We just keep walking and walking. Towards the horizon.
But the thing is, I can't keep up the pace that Peeta goes at. I'm lagging behind. Not too far behind but I'm struggling.

Silent tears start to run down my cheeks. "Peeta." I choke out and wait for him to stop. He does quickly and turn to look at me. As I walk up to him, I state the only thing on my mind.

"I'm sorry Peeta. It's all my fault that we aren't getting their fast enough. I'm so slow. I'm sorry." finishing I wipe my tears with my palm but they are just replaced with new ones.

Peeta grabs my arms when we stand together and look me dead in the eyes. "It's okay. It's not your fault it's mine. I got us into this mess." I look away not wanting him to take the blame. "How about I do this." He adds and slips my duffle bag on.

He places it on him before giving me a quick kiss. He wraps his arm around my back and under my knees before picking me up. He nestles my head against his shoulder and my right arm warps around his neck.

Peeta quickly repositions me in his arms slightly before he starts walking again. "Are you sure Peeta? I can walk if you just go slower." I retort.

"Yes I'm sure. Don't worry about it." He replies and I look towards his right hand holding up my legs. How it gently yet strongly holds onto my legs. I smile at his gentleness before lying my head back where it originally was.

"You woke up a couple of time last night so you can go to sleep if you want." Peeta suggests and I murmur and okay.

Closing my eyes, I easily find sleep. I then dream of a world where Peeta and my family will be safe.

---------------------

I wake up to a darkening world, but not in Peeta's arm. I notice my head is on his stomach and Peeta holds onto my small hands.

"Evening beautiful." Peeta speaks and I tilt my head up to see him. I smile and sit up, stretching my arms.

"You realise we'll be going to sleep soon." Peeta jokes and I smack his leg as he chuckles. I turn around to face him.

I'm about to speak when my stomach makes noises. Peeta quietly laughs. He rubs my stomach before replying, "I'll get you some food." He stands up and strokes my head before going to our bags.

When Peeta sits against the tree again. I notice a bowl of chocolate covered strawberries. He sets it down beside him before picking me up and placing me on his lap. With one hand resting on my waist, we begin feeding strawberries to each other. We always love doing it. Smiling as we finish up the few we had, Peeta connects his hands together.

"When are we going to get married?" I question him and he smiles.

"I don't know. When we're settled and have finished running away I guess." I nod before he adds a question directed to me, "Have you considered the thought of having kids?" I bite my lips and look away. He wants kids. I shake my head in a no.

"Okay." he states and drops it.

I bring it back up, "Not with the life I've had." I add to my answer and lean back against Peeta.
"Maybe." I pause, wondering how to word my answer.

"I might consider if things were different."