Chapter 7: The Final Point

"Are you, are you coming to the tree? Where they strung up a man, they say who murdered three. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be. If we met at midnight in the hanging tree."

I hum the next verse as we walk, getting closer to the place on the horizon. Nearly there. Singing, being a way to make time pass.

"...Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be, if we met a midnight in the hanging tree. Are you, are -" I double take on Peeta as I see him looking at me.

"Go on, keep singing." he encourages and I turn away, blushing.

"No." I murmur in answer.

"Why not?"

"You're making me more embarrassed about singing in front of you." I state and Peeta pulls me in closer into his side.

"Katniss Everdeen embarrassed? Never heard of such thing." I let out a laugh and Peeta kisses my head.

"Oh Peeta." I sigh and lean my head against his shoulder. My arm wraps around his back as we continue on this path, with our bags.

"What's going to happen? When we get to District 6?" I ask, curious as we seem to never think that far ahead.

"As we spoke last night, we're heading to District 10 right?" Peeta asks and I nod. Remembering my opinion last night I add onto my answer

"But as I said Peeta, you'll be going away from your baking lifestyle."

"I know Katniss but it's okay. I'll still bake for you." I chuckle and kiss his cheek. He returns back to serious and plans for the future. "So we'll probably stay the night we get to 6 but we'll get the next train possible to 10. After we get to District 10, we will start to settle down there. Find a furnished apartment, We'll get married of course. I'll get a job -"

"Me too." I interrupt his discussion.

"No. You're not going to get a job." Peeta retorts and stops us walking.

"Why?" I ask, bewildered. Peeta places his hand on both my cheeks and brings his head so our noses are centimetres apart.

"Because, you've had such a hard life. With all the abuse. I just want you to relax and have some freedom. Okay?" He answers me and I smile.

"Alright then." I confess and he kisses my nose before entwining our fingers again. We set off again and Peeta turns to look at me.

"And maybe we could consider starting a family?" Peeta hints and I roll my eyes.

"Peeta, as you just stated for a start we aren't even married yet. Two, we're only 18."

"I know but I'm just putting it out there." I sigh and Peeta speaks up after some silence.
"I love you." Peeta comments and all I can do is reply with the one phrase I always use.

"I love you too."

What seems like days later, yet it was only hours, I gasp. "Peeta!" I exclaim and point in front of us. A kilometre in front of us was the District 6 fence.

"We did it." Peeta exasperates and we both turn to face each other.

"We did it." I repeat and we hug. Peeta spins us around and stopping, we share a passionate kiss.

I start crying with joy and my arms get tighter around him. I lean my forehead against Peetas and he lowers me, taking my head in his hands.

Now, getting beyond the fence isn't much of a task but getting to another District carefully is going to be interesting.