Chapter 24: It Was All A Lie

"Katniss." I turn away from the bedroom door at the sound of Peeta calling my name. He walks up to me and places my left hand in his right. "I need to tell you something." He states and my eyes widen.

"You - you're not leaving the baby and I are you?" I stutter, what if he is. I'll be raising a child without a father.

"No! No! I'd never do that." He retorts and and kisses my head. He quickly touches my belly before leading me into the bedroom, the destination I had before.

When we reach the bed, I slowly sit down with his support. Peeta sits down besides me, both my hands now in his. I look at him scared, something is wrong.

"I have wanted to tell you this before. I know it shouldn't really be now since you're pregnant with our child but I've waited too long and just need to tell you."

"Peeta..." I trail off, not knowing what to say.

"I know a reason for the rivalry." Peeta simply states. My mind goes blank and I end up just staring at Peeta.

"You - you do?" I ask again. Peeta looks away, ashamed of bringing it up. I give his hand a reassuring squeeze. "What is it?" He looks back at me and sighs.

"This is coming from my family friend Haymitch who does get drunk so it might not be true." Peeta warns and I nod for him to continue.

"It all supposedly started the moment you were born. Your mother was engaged at the time and both our parents were friends. Your mother was in labour with you in the seam and couldn't get home or to the hospital. She was near our bakery and my dad noticed her. My dad was in the bakery shop and saw your mother. He went to your mother and helped her. He was the one who helped your mother get you into the world. Soon after you were born, your father showed up. He was furious that he missed your birth and my dad was the one who was there. The only reason I'm believing this is that my mum was supporting and had a 2 month old me with her."

"Oh my gosh! My husband was there when I was born." I exclaim and blush, embarrassed.

"Does that reason seem to make sense?" Peeta asks, trying to steer away from the embarrassing subject.

"Yes. That's makes me know better why my mother hates me. She hates the seam, and I was born there. I was born in the seam, Prim wasn't. No wonder." I state and a few loose tears fall down the side of my face.

"So they've lied to us?" Peeta reconsiders and I shrug.

"I've always been told it was our grandparents that started the rivalry." I answer and look down to our entwined hands. I feel Peeta tense beside me and I turn to see him staring stiffly at the floor.

"Peeta." He doesn't budge at my voice. "Peeta." I slightly wail. His stiffness suddenly goes and his breathing becomes quicker and heavier.

"Peeta." I say as I place my hands against his cheeks.

"It's true." He breathes. I look at him confused. He sees me in this state and clarifies his remark. "I saw it all in front of my eyes. It did happen." My face falls as I keep his cheeks in my hands.

"We were lied to."

Hey Guys I'm back after my travelling!
I have planned for something big to happen in the next few upcoming chapters!!