Chapter 3: Feeling So Fragile

I wake up nestled deep into Peeta's embrace. I smile and hug him tighter than I was before. I close my eyes as I take it all in. 

He is here with me. I don't have to worry about having to sneak out again. That is one positive point to this whole situation. Yet, we have to figure out the rest that make us double take and turn.

I feel Peeta stir beside me and I tilt my head up to watch him wake up. Immediately as his eyes open, he looks down to see my face.

"Hey beautiful." He greets me and I blush, burying my face into his damp shirt. "Oh come here you." He adds and pulls me up so I lie flat on his body. When he finishes moving me, I shyly look up at him. He chuckles before we bring our lips together.

I smile as we separate and gaze into one another's eyes. I sadly choose to change the subject dramatically, even though I begin to regret it.

"We have to leave here as soon as possible." I state and climb off his chest. I get up off the bed and walk towards the cupboard, 6 steps away. Opening them just incase there is any left over food that I sometimes store.

Nothing. I sigh and I feel Peeta's arms wrap around my body. "Nothing. We'll have to stock up quickly in the town." Peeta kisses my temple before pulling away.

"Okay. We should get changed before heading off." I nod in reply to Peeta's suggestion and go to my bags. I choose a simple outfit and turn away. Peeta looking at me.

"Can you.." I trail off, giving my finger a twirling motion for him to not look. He turns away and I pry away the damp clothes I've been in for days.

Finishing, I turn back and see Peeta looking at me with tears in his eyes. "Oh Peeta, I told you not to look!" I say, sobs escaping my mouth. He saw my back. He saw all the bruises and scars. I sink to my knees and see Peeta walk over.

"NO! Don't touch me!" I plead, feeling so fragile. But Peeta places his arms around me and pulls me close to him. He runs his hand along my skin, under my shirt and I bury my head into his shoulder.

Now, has this girl I was a few days ago come back? It feels like it. Was it just my fear of the storm that let my outburst take control over me?

I wipe my tears away with my palm. "I - I'm fine." I stutter and stand up, breaking my body away from Peeta's arms. Peeta stands up and takes my hand in his.

"Katniss," he starts and I turn to face him, sniffling. "It doesn't matter if you have bruises and scars on your body, no matter about your abusive past, I will always love you. Nothing is ever going to stop it okay?" Peeta rants and I nod. Peeta wipes my wet cheeks with his thumb before placing my head back into the crook of his neck. " I love you so much." He finishes and I wrap my arms around his chest.

"I love you too. Don't leave me Peeta." I reply and Peeta buries his face in my hair. I can only just make out his muffled words.

"I won't. Ever."