Chapter 20: Shining Metal

I grasp onto Peeta's hand and I continuously bob my left knee. Peeta was released from hospital 1 and a half weeks ago and as soon as Peeta was more confident on his prosthetic, we arranged an appointment to see our baby.

"I'm excited to see it yet nervous, all this that has happened could have made the baby be medically ill when it's born."

"Hey." Peeta murmurs and reaches over to kiss my temple. "The baby is going to be healthy." Peeta adds and I turn to look at him.

"Did I say that out loud?" Peeta nods in reply with a innocent smile. I bend over and lean my head on Peeta's shoulder.

"I'm really scared." I exaggerate and a couple of tears fall down my cheeks.

"I know." Peeta says and his free hand slides and sits on my stomach. "She'll be okay." Peeta adds and I chuckle.

"You're really certain that it's going to be a girl." I state and kiss his cheek.

"Yup." Peeta simply answers.

"Katniss Mellark." I hear a nurse say and we both stand up. Our arms both wrap around each other as we follow the nurse into a room not too far from the waiting room.

The nurse opens a door and we step in. A female doctor spots us and stands up. "Mr and Mrs Mellark." The doctor states and approaches us. "I'm Doctor Ryans and I'll be your doctor and midwife for your pregnancy." We shake hands and introduce ourselves.

"Sit down." Doctor Ryans suggest and Peeta sit down on the seat closest to the wall. I stay standing, not sure if I should sit on the empty seat. I bite my lip and automatically go towards Peeta.

He sees and gets the connection that I want to sit with him. "Okay." He murmurs with a nod and I sit myself on his lap.

The doctor gives us a sweet smile and Peeta wraps his arms around my waist carefully. "Can you just confirm your age and birthdate Katniss."

"18 and 8th of May 2047." I confirm and Doctor Ryans nods before turning away from her computer screen.

"And before you ask, we've had a very emotional and hard year." Peeta answers before Doctor Ryans could even ask her question about my age. Doctor Ryans looks towards us and starts up a conversation.

"Now, to start things off, you may call me Katherine." She says and we nod. "I believe Katniss, when your husband was in hospital you took a test so we could find out how far along you are?" I nod in reply. "Well we got those results back and it's confirmed you are..." Katherine scans the papers piled on her desk. "now 8 weeks along. I won't do an ultrasound today but can I just see your stomach."

Katherine comes to stand by us and I lift up my shirt. Katherine inspects my stomach and get the chance to realise my belly is wider, not even a centimetre.

"Can you just let me know about how you've been feeling?" Rachel asks as she lowers my shirt and goes back to her desk.

"Nauseous in the mornings. I can't get to sleep at all from needing to go to the toilet so much and according to Peeta, I'm starting to get sudden mood changes." I explain.

"That's normal Katniss." Katherine states as she finishes writing what I explained down.

She sighs before looking towards us. "I really don't want to stress you out more than you already are but it's really important to know when it comes to this age and getting pregnant." My hand travels to find Peeta's and I squeeze it hard. Getting fearful.

"You're at a high risk of having a complication in this pregnancy." My whole feeling drops and my grip loosens from Peeta's hand. Tears starting falling down my face as I stand up. I don't catch what Rachel says as I run out of the room.

"Katniss." I hear Peeta say before the door closes. I look up and run towards the toilets, following the signs.

Finding my way, I burst inside. I find no one is in here, all the stalls are free. I go to the end one and entering, locking it behind me. I start sobbing and sink to the ground, my head on my knees.

Why must our life be such a misery?

After time, still sobbing, I look towards my bag and notice the metal shining from the light.

Should I get it?