Chapter 19: First Try

Peeta's hand stays slightly tangled in my hair as I kneel down, placing on Peeta's custom-made prosthetic leg. I feel his hand shaking. He's nervous and so am I.

I pull the Velcro strap tighter and fasten it. "That's right." The doctor states and I smile.

"Is it tight enough?" I ask Peeta, looking up at him. He nods and doesn't speak in response.

"Okay Peeta. Let's give this leg a trial." The doctor suggests and I stand up to be in front of Peeta.

I'm expecting it to be a bit challenging as Peeta has been stuck in bed for the past couple of days.
I bring both his hands to my lips and kiss his knuckles. We smile at each other before I instruct
Peeta.

"Were going to take it as slow as you need to. Just hold onto me, I won't let go."

"Okay." He murmurs and I bend so Peeta's hands hold onto my shoulders. My hands go to his waist.

"You ready?" I ask Peeta and he nods. He starts pushing himself up and I rise slowly. Peeta's grip on my shoulders tighten yet he make sure he doesn't hurt me.

"Peeta, if you want me to stop let me know please." I beg.

"I know." He replies and as soon as he is standing, my arms wrap around him to give him more support. I sigh in relief and Peeta rests his head on my shoulder.

"Peeta." The doctor speaks up and we turn our heads to look at him. "Just lift up your right leg for me." He asks as he comes to stand by us and I move slightly away from his right leg so he can do so. He does with a little bit of trouble but gets it after her tries the second time.

"Okay now. I'm not going to make you go far, just to the end of the bed but can you walk a few steps. Your wife can be supporting you." The doctor instructs and Peeta starts shaking more than he was before.

"Peeta." I mumble and take his face his my hands. He turns his head away from the doctor and I and releases a small sob.

"Peeta, sweetie?" I rarely use nicknames like sweetie, I can't help myself when I see him in pain or is unhappy.

"I can't. I just -" Peeta starts sobbing more into my shoulder before he could even finish his sentence. I frown and gesture the doctor to give us a minute. I see him nod and he quietly walks out.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. I'm right here. You aren't doing this alone." I murmur and stroke his blonde curls.

"It - it's all going to be different now. I'm not the same anymore."

"Yes you are. You're still the amazing and caring Peeta that I love hugely. It's all changing sweetie, I'm pregnant with our child. It's all new." I state and Peeta nods. He places a hand on my flat stomach before wrapping his arms around me.

"Do you just want to try walking with just me here?" He nods and lifts his head off my shoulder. I wipe his wet cheeks with my thumbs and hold onto Peeta's hand.

I take a small step back, still holding Peeta. "All I want you to do is come towards me Peeta. Just focus on me okay." He eyes travel to mine and I give him a small smile.

Peeta looks down to his right leg and slowly moves it in front of him. Once it hits the ground again I smile.

"Well done baby. You can easily do the next one." quickly he moves one step closer to me. I take myself back more so Peeta has room for his next step.

The routine repeats itself and soon I'm staying put at the end of the bed.

Peeta takes one last step on his prosthetic and our arms wrap around each other as we stand in front of each other.

"Well done Peeta." I congratulate and Peeta's arms wrap slightly tighter. "It might take a while but we will get there."