Chapter 38: The Plans

My sigh fills the silent air as we both enter our quiet apartment once again. I wrap my other arm around Peeta's stomach and press the side of my head into his shoulder blade.

"Before we get into packing up, come with me." Peeta suggests and I follow him.

He leads us to our sofa. He sits down first before gesturing me to sit in front of him. I sink into the sofa, sitting in between his legs.

"You Mrs Mellark, are getting a neck message." Peeta states and I chuckle.

"But I just want to cuddle up with my husband." I pout, turning slightly to face him.

"If you cuddle me on your side I can do both." Peeta answers and I smile. I turn to face the sofa back before nestling to cuddle Peeta. My right arm wraps around him and my left hand runs over his skin, hidden by his shirt. Peeta smiles before his fingers entwine with mine and he begins massaging my neck with the other.

"I can't believe we're going to be going back to Twelve in two weeks." I breathe.

"I know. But at least we'll be happy there." Peeta answers and I nod in reply.

"But there is one thing - no two things I'm going to miss about District Ten." I add and close my eyes in relaxation as Peeta's fingers dig into my neck.

"What might those two things be?" Peeta questions.

"This house and Rachel." I answer and sigh. "This apartment is exactly what I wanted and would do want to bring it and remake it somehow in Twelve."

"How about later, I'll take photos of the rooms and when we get back to twelve, I can get some building permission and extend the lake house. We're going to live there aren't we?"

"Yeah, that would be absolutely amazing Peeta. Rachel. Oh Rachel. How I would die to have her as my midwife if I became pregnant again. She understood us and helped us so much." I add, opening my eyes once again, and Peeta disconnects his hand from my neck, my head immediately falling to rest on his shoulder.

"We should go thank her before we go. I do agree that she helped us so much, we have to repay her in some way."

"Yes we should." I chirp and kiss Peeta's cheek.

"How is my beautiful wife?" Peeta questions, changing the subject.

"Good. So much stress and fear has been lifted off my shoulders now. I'm so glad that the rivalry has ended."

"I feel the same way. I can love you freely in public, not in secret." Peeta turns his head to peck my lips and I smile as he breaks away.

"I love you Katniss Lauren Mellark." Peeta comments and my heart melts. Just as he says my name, full and with the use of Mellark.

We've now encountered just over 10 months of marriage.

"I love you, my husband, Peeta Mellark." I reply and I smile wider. I'm content.

With Peeta. By my side.