Chapter 31: The Call

My hand shakes I press the call button on her contact.

Peeta sitting beside me helps as I grasp onto his hand. I bite my lip. Is this going to go wrong?
The dial ringtone starts ringing and I choose to place it on speaker. It takes a while but she finally picks up.

"Hello?" She asks through the phone.

"Poppy, this is Katniss here." I say and bury my head into Peeta's shoulder at her reaction.

"Oh my gosh! Just wait a minute." She states and I hear a door open and close from the phone.
"Katniss, is this really you?" Poppy asks.

"Yeah it is, with Peeta." I reply and smile.

"You've been gone a year! News broke out overnight when your parents discovered the message on your dressing table mirror."

"I know but I'm okay. I'm with Peeta and safe, that's all that matters." I comment and kiss Peeta's cheek. He smiles when I break away.

"Okay, spill." Poppy demands and I sigh.

"Well, we're in another District but I don't want to reveal it. A few days after we got here, we decided to get married. A few months after that we discovered that I was pregnant..." I trail off.

"Oh my goodness! Is it a boy or a girl? What's its name?" Poppy quizzes over the phone.

"Her name is Rose and we sadly lost her two weeks ago due to premature birth." I fill her in and a tear runs down my face at the thought of my baby girl.

Poppy gasps. "Oh, I'm so sorry." She adds.

"It's alright. But the main reason why we chose to call was... We've decided to come back to 12 for a couple of days." Poppy quietly squeals.

"Why?" She asks.

"We need to sort something out with my parents." I confess and turn from looking at the phone to Peeta. He nods at me and I shift my eyes to our entwined hands.

"We'll be back at the end of the week." I add.

Silence starts on the other end. "Poppy? Poppy!?" I exclaim.

"Yeah, wow. Can't wait to see you." She states, I hear quiet voice coming from the background. "Sorry, have to go. See you at the end of the week." she rambles and the line goes dead.

I sigh and place my hand over my left over baby weight. "We won't mention about the baby, will we?" I ask Peeta.

"Yeah, unless it needs to be said." Peeta answers and I lean my head on his arm.

We need to know. We will go and find the answer, ending this rivalry once and for all.