Chapter 36: His Embrace

My arm wraps tighter around Peeta's torso and adjust my head resting on his chest as we lie by the lake, admiring the glowing orange sunset, Peeta's favourite colour.

"I don't want to break the happy feeling but I'm slightly curious -" I rise my Peeta's chest and turn to look at him. I place my head back on his chest before answering.

"Yeah?"

"Have you thought about trying again? For a baby?" He asks before adding. "I know it's only been a month since we lost her but now that the rivalry is broken, there will be a bigger chance that it'll live."

"I haven't but with that thought, we can try again whenever. As long as we still have our moments when we remember Rose, not completely forget her, then I wouldn't mind getting pregnant again. It'll be... different." I answer and Peeta nods.

"Okay. We should probably head back to my parents place." He suggests sitting up.

"No. I want to keep hugging you." I whine and pout at him. Peeta chuckles at me.

"Well let me stand up then you can continue to." I sigh and let him stand up. He picks me up from the ground and I wrap my legs around his waist.

Peeta squats carefully to retrieve our shoes and my bag before rising. I grab my shoes and bag from him and wrap my arms around his neck.

Before I know it, he's walking and is heading away from the lake. "If we were to move back here, could this be out house?" I ask him.

"Sure. We can get an extension on the house there and make it our own. And our baby if you're pregnant or have an infant with us that is."

Just the thought of being pregnant again gives me butterflies. We can be happy, have a family. They'd we happy with us. Yet, I wouldn't know how to care for them lovingly. My mother never did for me.

I nuzzle my head into the crook of his neck and mumble to him. "Be prepared for me to fall asleep. Your embrace just lures me into it."

"Sure, I'll wake you up when we get there." Peeta says and before I know it my eyes are closed and his breathing is the last thing I hear.

-------------

"Katniss." I wake up to murmuring and a hand stroking my hair. Peeta's voice and hand.

"Hmn?" I say and adjust my arms around him.

"We're nearly there. You're going to walk. You've slept for 10 minutes." Peeta answers.

"Okay." I breathe and slowly slip from his embrace. I sigh when my feet touch the floor. Peeta kisses my head and my arm wraps around his waist.

"I'll let you sleep when we get home." I nod and we start up walking again. Peeta and I approach the back stairs of the bakery and we head up them slowly. Myself still drowned in tiredness. Peeta pushes open the door and we both enter.

"How did it go?" I snap my head up to see Peeta's mother. My mother in-law. Medium height, dark blonde hair and the blue eyes that my husband carries. Standing beside her is my father in-law. Taller height and light brown hair.

"It's finished." Peeta answers, regarding the rivalry, and Peeta's parents sigh in relief.

"Thank goodness." Peeta's father exclaims.

"Katniss is tired so were gonna head upstairs. Bring dinner up, I'll probably be awake." Peeta states and they nod. "Let's go sweetie." Peeta whispered and kisses my head once again.

We turn and make our way to our bedroom, slowly. When we approach our room, I pull Peeta to the bed with me.

I sigh when my back flops onto the covers and my head makes contact with the pillow. Peeta climbs over me to rest on his stomach right beside me, his arm draped over mine.

"Sweet dreams beautiful." Peeta murmurs before kissing my ear lightly. I smile before I'm pulled into sleep once again.