Chapter 22: Both in Disbelief

It's been a couple of months since the day I found out that my child might not make it. It still terrifies me and Peeta continues to be worried and careful.

I refuse to take the wrist bandage off that I received that day, not wanting to see those cut scars.

We got a new midwife named Rachel who is nicer and takes things more gently with us. Peeta and I got to see our child yesterday at the 18 week ultrasound.

I'm still so ecstatic at the photos that are pinned up on the fridge door. I get up from the kitchen table and walk over to the fridge to admire my baby as Peeta finishes the dinner dishes. I slide them off the door and I hold the slip of 3 images in my left hand. The tiny body I see here is growing inside of me right now.

I hear Peeta's footsteps and soon feel his hands slide against my arms and join where my hands are.

"Katniss?" He asks me.

"Hm?" I murmur, not bothering to answer with words.

"Look down." Peeta suggests and I see my hand was resting on my visible bump. Once again.

"Oh my gosh! I keep doing it absentmindedly." I complain and lean my head back onto Peeta's shoulder. He kisses my neck and chuckles at my remark.

"But you look absolutely adorable doing it. You seem to love stroking your bump, protecting our little one. I think it's cute." Peeta comments and I slightly smile. I rub my nose against his neck and peck it.

"Let me have a look." Peeta states and I raise my head, placing the photos back on the fridge. Then I begin lifting my shirt so Peeta can admire my bump. Both his hands go to hold my bump and I smile lovingly. His warm hands against my bare skin still gives me goosebumps.

I suddenly gasp and my hand lies to my belly. Did Peeta just do something and made me jump?
"P - Peeta?" I stutter and feel it again. I shriek and turn my head to look up at him.

"Did you feel that?" I whisper and it happens again.

"I - I slightly felt something." Peeta makes out and the realisation comes as it happens again.

"The baby moved Peeta." I mumble. "The baby moved Peeta." I say clearer and I smile widely. I turn around to face him and hold his face in my hands. "The baby is moving!" I exclaim and we share a kiss.

"Really?" Peeta asks in disbelief and I nod vigorously. Both of Peeta's hand go back to my stomach and mine slide down to rest on top of his.

"I can just feel it." Peeta states and gives me a smile.

I lean my head back on Peeta's shoulder and he presses my head against mine. I smile wider into his shoulder and spare this moment.