twohundredandfour

Zain wakes to an empty bed and Freddie talking loud enough to be heard all the way upstairs. He realises what woke him when Harry settles down on the mattress beside him, kissing his shoulder.

"Are you coming to football?" he asks, smoothing down Zain's hair.

"I have a choice?" Zain mumbles.

"I mean,," Harry says, his fingers soft on Zain's scalp. "Louis and I are going."

"Give me two," Zain mutters into his pillow. "I'm almost up.

Harry kisses his cheek softly, pressing his face against Zain's for a moment. "Alright. We're all ready and I'll grab some breakfast for you to take along. Don't fall back asleep."

"Won't," Zain mutters and doesn't move.

Harry laughs lightly, Zain's head and leaves him be, not bothering to close the door behind him. Zain grunts and pushes himself up, stumbling blindly into the bathroom.

🌱

"Louis, we're off," Zain says, poking his head into the living room.

"Kay," Louis says, driving one of Freddie's cars into what was supposed to be a car wash — for some reason, Freddie had decided his cars needed to be washed. Possibly influenced by Harry saying something like that after Freddie had spilled a packet of crisps all over the back seat after football. "We'll just finish washing the cars," he rolls his eyes at Zain. "And then go get Kathie her birthday present."

"Already?" Zain asks, buttoning up his coat. "That birthday isn't for another two weeks."

"Someone," Louis says, in that tone of voice he got when Harry was being especially Harry-ish. "Is of the opinion that we should get it now or else we'd forget."

Zain has to shrug at that, because that was not especially unfounded. Louis grimaces in agreement. "So anyways. We're going later. Because I want next week off off, not running errands."

"Alright," Zain says, waving at Louis when Harry and Freddie come down the stairs, Harry pulling a hoodie over his head and Freddie blabbering about his Ferrari as he carries it carefully in both hands.

"Bye, monster," Zain says, running a hand through his hair.

Freddie looks back distractedly. "Bye," he says and Zain rolls his eyes at his back, pulling the living room door closed.

"You've got a bit of glitter," Harry grins, kissing Zain's cheek. "Very fetching."

"Fuck off," Zain says, pushing Harry towards the door. "I told you."

"Yea, they asked me at work if I was gonna start a new trend, because I had some in my hair apparently." Harry shrugs, jogging down the front steps, turning around and putting his hands in his pockets, twirling twice to make his coat soar around his knees.

"Yea," Zain agrees, checking his pockets for his keys. Harry felt so light today as well, exuberant and happy, like a weight of his shoulders. For all that he loved his work, he really had needed a bit of time off.

"I've got them," Harry dangles the keys from his fingers. "Come on, come on," he sing songs.

"We're literally just going for a walk," Zain says drily. "There is no need to hurry."

"You're so grumpy," Harry grins, kissing Zain's cheek and hooking his arm through Zain's. "I got us an appointment with my tattoo artist in two weeks by the way. He texted earlier to confirm. So you can finally get your birthday present."