twohundredandsix

"So," Harry says, pulling some imaginary lint from Zain's shoulder. "What if Freddie and I picked you up later?"

"Yea?" Zain asks, cupping Harry's cheek. He already looks so much softer after too days of plenty of sleep and the stress of work falling from him, it makes him even harder to resist. "You wanna?"

"I do," Harry nods, licking his lips. "I wanna see the gallery and maybe at least see Margaret and Priya from a distance? If you think that's ok? I just. I like knowing that, it's becoming such a big part of your life. You've been at work with me."

"Babe, you don't need to convince me," Zain assures him, kissing his cheek. "I'd love to have you pick me up. I wasn't sure if you'd want to do it."

"Of course I want to," Harry says, sounding surprised. "It's important."

"Ok," Zain nods, taking Harry's hand in his and kissing his palm. "You're always welcome to come with me or anything, you know that, right?"

Harry nods, a slightly blush on his cheek. Zain is so very glad to have him. "Sure, yea. Alright. Freddie and I will be there around five-ish."

"Perfect," Zain smiles, pecking him on the lips. "If I'm not down yet, there should be someone in the showroom. Anne, probably, or Tom."

"Ok," Harry nods, frowning like he's commuting the names to memory. "We'll be there and if now," he narrows his eyes at Zain. "Check your phone."

Zain refrains from rolling his eyes. He wasn't that bad. "I will."

Harry snorts in disbelieve, brushing a bit more of imaginary dust from Zain's shoulders. "You like very handsome. Very artsy. You'll be amazing."

"Thanks, sweetheart," Zain says, some of the tension he always carries before important meetings or appointments falling off him with Harry's words. "I'll see you later. Don't let the monster drive you up the wall."

"We'll be fine. Love you," Harry says, turning Zain towards the door and handing him his car key. "Drive safe."

"Yes, mum," Zain says sarcastically, then wrinkles his nose. "I take that back."

"I should hope so," Harry answers, looking torn between amusement and disgust. "Now go, before you say something worse."

"Love you, too," Zain says over his shoulder, unlocking the car. Harry leans against the door jam, watching him until Zain's pulled out the gate and it closes slowly behind him. It's strangely reassuring, seeing him standing there even though his hair is still a mess and he's wearing his awful lurid shorts again, like he can't afford to wear clothes that aren't an eyesore.

Zain shakes his head and pulls out onto the road, turning his music up slightly and hoping all of Harry's faith in him is warranted.

🌱

"Baby," Harry says, cupping Freddie's face for a second and trying to get him to focus on Harry.

Freddie squirms in excitement but settles, looking at Harry eagerly.

"The things inside are all really important to someone and they cannot be replaced if we break them because they exist only this one time. So don't touch anything and stay with me, alright?" he says.

"Yes," Freddie nods. "I know. I know about art, I do it with Zain."

"I know," Harry says, fond of his self-assurance. "I just wanted to remind you, baby."

"Okay," Freddie shrugs. "Can we go in now?"

"Sure," Harry says, feeling unnecessarily nervous. Perhaps because he is not only trying to make a good impression for himself, but for Zain.