This I Promise You

By midnight_readerscave

"You can try all you want to make him love you, Anika but he will never love you. Because he has given his he... More

Prologue
Character aesthetic
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
THANK YOU❤️❤️❤️
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Please Read
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63

Chapter 23

3K 200 21
By midnight_readerscave

Dadi and I were taking a casual stroll in the backyard. We haven't had one of these one-on-one talks since my marriage and I miss them. I used to love talking to her and I would share everything with her, it kinda became our ritual to have this once in a week. I moved towards the roses planted in the garden, this Dadu's pride and joy. He built this garden for Dadi because she loved roses.

"So Ani, tell me how are things with Kartavya and you?" Dadi asked with a teasing smile.

"Dadi, everything is going great between us." I answered with a dreamy smile. I've been like this since date night, god what is happening to me. I was never like this.

"Ah, I can see that in your smile, I assume you have talked about your issues." She caressed my hair. We moved towards the bench present in the garden and took a seat.

"Yes Dadi, we talked and resolved all our issues and everything's been so good since then." I placed my head on her shoulder and played with her hands. Her hands were warm and soft, reminding me of my childhood where she would caress my hair and hold while I would cry because I was missing my parents. She placed a kiss on my head and caressed my cheeks.

"I have seen the way he looks at you gudiya, the boy looks smitten."

All of a sudden I became shy. "No he doesn't, Dadi." I tried to tell her. How can he look smitten when we only really started a relationship just three days ago.

Aren't you smitten with him too Anika. My subconscious raised an eyebrow at me.

"Of course he does gudiya, he looks at you like you are the only one in the room. He always has his eyes on you when you aren't looking. He must really like you." Dadi chuckled. A smile formed on my lips.

"I like him a lot too. I don't know if it's possible to be this happy." Even though it's only been four days. I don't say that part out loud. I sighed remembering how he held my hand and occasionally kissing it throughout the drive from home to here.

"Does he know how you feel about him?" She inquired.

"Yeah Dadi, He does. He was the one who first confessed about how much he liked me." I raised my head from her shoulder and looked at her with a smile. "He prepared so much for that. He decorated the whole terrace of his penthouse apartment and even cooked for me. And Dadi, he is an amazing cook. Let me show you the pictures." I squealed and took out my phone from my pocket and started showing her the pics we took that day. She laughed looking at my excitement.

"I'm so happy for you gudiya, I was worried about who will be your future husband and I was worried how you will adjust to your new family and responsibilities." She sounded worried.

"Dadi, you don't have to worry about me. Everyone there is so nice and they all treat me very well, especially Maa." I assured her, patting her hand.

"Now, I don't have to worry about you anymore. You are finally getting the love of the family you always deserved since childhood." I was confused by what just Dadi said, why did she say it like she knows something, fear crawled up my spine does she know anything about our abuse. We were really careful not to tell them anything. We know they couldn't handle knowing what happened to us so bhaiya decided we should keep it a secret.

"Dadi what are you saying? Why do you think I don't have the love of a family? I do first from my parents then from Dadu, Bhaiya, Kshitij and you," I frowned. Maybe I should talk with Bhaiya about it.

"I know, just forget what I just said and tell me about your trip to Udaipur." Dadi said with a nervous chuckle. I understood that she is trying to change the subject and decided to leave it for now.

So not wanting to dig any deeper I started talking about the trip and she told me about all the gossip and about random people I don't know. I casually checked my phone to see what the time was and realised it was already late and we should have gone home an hour ago. Why didn't Avy say anything?

"Dadi, it's late, we have to leave." Dadi frowned.

"Ani, itni jaldi kyu. Thodi der aur rukh jao na baba." She stood and took my hand in hers.

(Ani, why so early. Stay for a little longer)

"I know Dadi, but we have to leave. Avni Bhabhi and I have to do some last minute things that Maa has given us for the wedding." I informed her. Dadi sighed, nodding her head as we went inside the house. We moved towards the living room where we heard voices coming from.

Dadu, Kshitij, Vivaan were present but there was no sign of Avy anywhere. "Kshitij, where is Kartavya? I don't see him anywhere." I mumbled.

"Di, Jiju and Bhai are in the study. Bhai wanted to talk with jiju." Kshitij answered while looking at his phone. Oh what are they talking about?

"What did he want to talk about?" He just shrugged.

"Okay I'm going to see them, okay." I went upstairs and headed towards the study when Amaira and Badi Maa stopped me. They stood in front of me blocking my way. This area of the house is a little secluded since bhaiya didn't want anyone to disturb him while he was working so we were alone.

"Look Mama, who is it? The Man stealer." Amaira asked in a mocking tone. I scoffed at her audacity. I just tried to move past them. I don't want to talk to them or even have any kind of interaction. "We are talking to you. Can't you see?" she fumed.

"Amaira, I'm not in the mood to talk to you right now. Instead of lurking in the corners planning and scheming to destroy innocent lives, do something with your life" I tried to move past them but Badi Maa held my arm and pulled me back. She held it so tight digging her nails into my wrist that it started to hurt.

Amaira let out a gasp. "Mama, have you seen her attitude? She is talking back to us now."

She looked enraged. "You, how dare you? Just because you are married you think you can talk back and behave however you want. Have you forgotten what happens when you talk back or should I remind you again?" She held my upper arm in a bruising grip.

"Let go." I twisted and jerked my hand free from hers.

She was fuming. She came into my face and said through gritted teeth. "Yes, I'm observing everything Amaira, she must have forgotten what happens when she behaves badly. It's been long since she had her punishment. Isn't that right Anika." I stiffened.

I was always the target of their cruel behaviour even after I moved away from their house and into her grandparents house. I always tried to understand the reason but after not getting any answers I just stopped wondering why they behaved like this. I don't want to understand why my abusers do what they do. I didn't give them the satisfaction of trying to understand them, they do what they do because they are bad people. They are not what they show the society they are evil and would go any lengths to get what they want.

But all this time I thought if I ignored them, they were going to leave me alone and wouldn't bother me. But they took my silence for weakness. Yes I may have been weak before and I may sometimes still be scared of her. But I don't want to be that scared little girl anymore. Everything has been going great in my life and I don't want them to ruin that. If they again knew I was scared they would latch on to it and would do anything to make me again bend to their will.

I tried to fight them and in fact even tried to tell my Dadu all about them so many times but they always threatened my brothers and I knew my uncle was not bluffing or making empty promises. So I was always quiet but now they can't threaten my brothers anymore. Bade Papa is scared of Bhaiya. So he can't do anything to my brothers and me. And it's high time I stop being scared of them.

"I'm not scared of you anymore. You can't do anything to me. You and your husband are living and having this luxury just because of Dadi and Dadu. If not you would be on the street remember that." I snapped having enough of her bullshit. My heart was beating so fast as if I ran a marathon. I have never talked to her like this and honestly I was behaving brave on the outside but I was scared shitless on the inside. "I hope you remember what happened to your husband and his company the last time you raised your hand against me. But this time it won't be your husband who will face the consequences but you, and I will be the one returning ten folds for everything you put me through."

"Oh looks like some have grown some wings since she married. Is this because of your husband? It's time we cut them don't you think Amaira.'' The mother daughter duo had ugly smirks on their faces. These ladies were beautiful to look at on the outside but their souls are rotten. What's the point of being pretty on the outside if you are ugly on the inside.

"If you think you can talk back to us and behave as you wish just because you married Kartavya and he will protect you, you are wrong. He will not protect you. He will never ever like you. You are pathetic, he only married you because his grandmother and mother blackmailed him. You are not his choice, someone so ugly like you will never be his choice." Amaira has disdain written all over her face.

I fisted my hands so hard I'm sure there will be half moons indented into my palm due to my nails digging in so hard. Yes, I know I was not his choice but we are past that stage. We are giving this marriage a chance and I know I don't have to worry about any nonsense they just sprouted.

"Yet, I'm Mrs. Anika Kartavya Raichand. It seems like you forgot something. Let me remind you. Badi Maa, didn't you send Amaira's proposal to Kartavya as well? And If I remember correctly he rejected without even considering it and Amaira was throwing fit that he rejected her and was literally begging Dadu to do something so that he will accept her." I looked at Amaira to see her turning red with embarrassment. "So yes Maa and Dadi might have blackmailed him to marry but the ultimate choice of who he marries was up to him." I smirked when I saw both of them looked like they wanted to murder me. "And now if you will excuse me I have to go to my husband."

I walked past them bumping into Amaira's shoulder. She stumbled a step back and shrieked while cussing me out. "This isn't over Anika. You will regret ever talking to us like that, you just started something you shouldn't have, and I will finish this and I will be the one laughing in the end. Mark my words." A shiver went down my spine when I heard her sinister voice. It was so evil that goosebumps popped up on my skin.

Still not wanting to back down I steeled my spine and not completing turning towards them I just turned my head a little. "Oh it is over Mrs. Netra. You don't have any control over me. And whatever you are thinking I would like to see you try." I scoffed and walked with my head held high.

When I turned the corner my knees buckled and I leaned my back against the wall with my hands on my knees. I tried to regulate my breathing so my heartbeat would go down. After a few seconds of taking deep breaths I stood to my full height. God that was the first time I've ever dared to talk to her like that. I released a breath and moved towards the door and knocked on the study.

"Come in." I heard Bhaiya's authoritative voice. I opened the door and peaked my head into the room to look at the two male figures sitting on the bar stool in front of the private bar present in the study, with a glass of amber liquid in them. "Ani, andar aao gudiya. Wahi kyu kadi ho?" Bhaiya mumbled and waved his hands for me to come in.

(Ani, come inside, doll. Why are you standing there?)

"Aap dono yaha kya kar rahe ho jab sab bhi neche hai? " I went and stood in front of them with my arms crossed against my chest and raised my eyebrow at the glasses in their hands.

(What are you guys doing in here, when everyone is downstairs?)

"Nothing, gudiya we were just having a drink and a little chat." Bhaiya replied and placed his glass on the bar. I looked at Avy and he winked at me.

"At three in the afternoon?" I asked trying to sound affected by the action. Avy stood up from his stool and walked towards me. He came and stood right next to me. Bhaiya just shrugged his shoulders.

"Anika, you know your brother is an ass right?" He placed his hand on my waist and pulled me closer to him.

"And why is that?" I frowned.

"You know he threatened to take you away from me and said you would definitely listen to him no matter what and leave me. Oh he also said that I don't deserve you and I should start counting my days." I gasped turning to my brother who looked like he wanted to punch Avy.

"What the fuck—"

"Bhaiya, what? Why would you say that?" I shook my head. "Didn't we have a chat about this just a few hours ago. I told you right, I like him and don't want you to do anything crazy." Avy kissed my temple when I said I liked him. I smiled a little and looked at him.

Bhaiya huffed and got up from his seat and stood a few feet away from us. "Ani, I just said that because he made you cry, the last time you were here. I wanted him to know the consequences of making you sad or making you cry." He turned towards Avy and narrowed his eyes at our close proximity ."Hey you asshole, move away from my sister and stop kissing her." Avy kissed my hair once more just to annoy my brother. I tried to move away from him but he held me close.

"First you can't take her away from me and I would like to see you try." Avy moved behind me and wrapped his hands around my waist placing his chin on my head. "Second, she is my wife now and I could do whatever I wish with her." Mortified by what he just said in front of my brother and elbowed him in the stomach.

"Why you little shit I'm—" Before he could say something and this situation escalated more I interrupted him.

"Okay both of you stop behaving like kids." I shook my head. "Avy, we have to go. We said we would be back in two hours but it's been more than that."

"What Ani, thodi der aur rukh jao na. Abhi toh aaye tum log." Bhaiya frowned.

(Ani stay for little longer, you guys just came)

"Muje bhi rukh na bhaiya but we promised that we will come home early. And I also have some pending work to do."

(I would also like to stay)

Bhaiya understood and nodded while pushing Avy away from me and took me in a bear hug. Kartavya scowled, rolling his eyes as he pulled me to himself. God they are behaving like cavemen. I moved away from both of them and glared. They both looked sheepishly at me. I shook my head with a small smile.

                          ******

Hey guys!

We finally reached 10K so I decided to upload today. Hope you enjoy. 

And special Thanks to all those are regularly commenting you guys literally make my whole day.💙

Let me know what you think of this chapter.

Don't forget to Comment and Vote.

A❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

759K 22.9K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
202K 10.1K 62
"How dare you crash into my car?" roared a voice, his voice. This man he doesn't even have some manners to help others. He is shouting at me when I a...
703K 45.2K 40
(#1 Unwanted Series) ||Arranged Marriage Romance|| "Open it." She said in her commanding tone, as my hand made towards her 𝒌𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅 to ope...
103K 7K 42
Two people completely in love and inseparable but ......one big incident changed their life and they got separated.... what will happen when dest...