Dick Grayson one shots

By McBrube

One shots about Dick Grayson and the members of the Batfam. Updated weekly :) More

Missing you P1
Missing you P2
Dare...
Dare... P2
2nd chance
Anniversary
Migrane
Mother Hen
Sick
Just an expression...
Fistfight
Remember me P1
Remember me P2
Remember me P3
Covid
Poisonous
Poisonous P2
Sacrifice
Sacrifice P2
Fire
Fire P2
Fire P3
A red bird's tears
I'm here
Sunburn
Allergies
Even stone can crumble
This wasn't the plan
Rescued
Overworked
Shots
Charity case
Charity case P2
Charity case P3
Charity case P4
Too late
Everyone has fears...
Wisdom teeth
Gift
174
In the wake of a tragedy
Much protek
Blank
Not your fault
I think I'm broken
Cartwheels
Soulmates
Just a spoonful of sugar
After the honeymoon phase
The last flying Grayson
Epipens = liquid Jesus
To be a hero
Falling
I know I can't do this on my own
Happy Birthday
Changed
Jason?
Paper cut
Snow
A meaningful gift
Tiredness
Stars
Mini golf
Mini golf P2
Bro fluff
Stitches
They call me lucky
They call me lucky P2
Secrets hurt
Secrets hurt P2
Assassin for hire
Best friend
Best friend P2
The blessing and curse of being a talon
Try to move on
Flustered
Play hero
Nightmares
Little Bird
The world is taller than Dick Grayson
We love you Jason
Flowers
Birthdays
Don't be angry
You
Puppet without strings
Change my heart
It's the little things
Only human
Only human P2
Only a child
Bat blanket
Fixed
I feel like I got hit by a car...
Frosty
Frosty P2
Souvenir
He's the favorite
I borrowed this
I borrowed this P2
Living nightmare
We were right
We were wrong
Little hero
Words hurt
The cold never bothered me anyway
The cold never bothered me anyway P2
Gummies
Don't leave me alone please
I hate spiders
The ballet
Masks
Masks P2
Accidental breaking and entering
Batman but a Hallmark movie
Hang on
Sleep walking
Exchange
Exchange P2
You're gone
If it was me instead of you
If it was me instead of you P2
Powerless
Powerless P2
Proof Richard Grayson is a Disney princess
I just want to be normal
Threats
Threats P2
Cave-in
Frozen
I feel yuckie
Cuddles
College
Golden boy
Golden boy P2
Emotional support plant
Emotional support plant P2
Luck
Losing you
Dino nuggies and chocy milk
Taxes
I should not have done that

A tale of knights and dragons

1.7K 49 19
By McBrube

This chapter is heckin' long, and it is dedicated to timdrakeisnotwhelmed because of how many of my random one shot ideas she's written into reality for her 31 day July Jaydick writing thingie... so you everyone should go check that out... and timdrakeisnotwhelmed you're amazing

Jason breathed a sigh of relief as he rode out of the city gates, glad to be through with kissing babies and being relentlessly pursued by the ladies of the court. His father, Bruce, was always pestering him with constant urgings to get married and go start his own fiefdom away from Gotham. The thing was, Jason wasn't interested in the ladies of the court, in fact he wasn't interested in ladies in general... but to tell his father that would shame Gotham forever.

The only thing that Jason really wanted to do was run away and start a quiet life somewhere... with someone he loved.

Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen... at least it wasn't likely to happen, after all, Jason had never encountered anyone like him before. A man who liked a man...

So Jason simply nudged his mount to go faster and followed the pathway towards his destination. He had a dragon to kill.

Jason rode the rocky path up the mountain toward Blüdhaven. He couldn't quite see the beginnings of the outer farms, but he knew he was close and he was eager to get to the nearest inn. After a rough night of traveling he needed a good meal, some bandages, and a soft bed.

Suddenly, Jason's horse spooked and reared onto it's back legs, launching Jason off its back and onto the sharp rocks before running off into the forest.

Jason groaned as his vision swam. He lay there on the rocks until he knew he would be able to stand without falling back down immediately.

Two large gray wolves emerged from the trees, growling as they circled him.

Jason leapt to his feet and drew his sword, but he was currently no match for the wolves who quickly had him pinned to the ground with new wounds on his side and shoulder from their sharp teeth and claws.

The wolves stood over Jason, saliva dripping from their jaws, and he could tell this was probably the end for him. Just as he'd closed his eyes and accepted his fate there was a roar accompanied by the sound of beating wings that sent the wolves running back into the forest with their tails between their legs.

Jason's vision was tunneling, and he could feel himself slipping into unconsciousness. He stared up at the sky as black spots gradually obscured his view. The last thing he saw before he closed his eyes was a man standing over him with the most beautiful blue eyes he'd ever seen.

Then everything faded to darkness.

Jason awoke in a strange cottage with a throbbing headache. The familiar weight of his armor was gone, and it felt as if there were bandages wrapped around his torso as well as one bicep.

"Oh, you're finally awake," a sweet old woman said, helping Jason sit up and placing a bowl of broth in his hands. "My name's Leslie, I'm the village medicine woman," she said with a smile.

"Where... where am I?" Jason asked.

"You're in Blüdhaven of course," Leslie said. "Now eat up. You were in a rather bad way when I first got to you and I don't want you fainting or anything. That would just be more work for me."

Jason brought a spoonful of the broth to his lips and sipped, surprised at the rich and creamy flavor. He hastily spooned more of it into his mouth when he realized how hungry he actually was.

When the bowl was empty, Jason set it to the side and turned to look at Leslie, who'd returned to tending the fire. "Were you the one who saved me?" He asked, remembering intense blue eyes that had almost seemed to glow.

Leslie's laughter echoed through the small room. "Of course not dear," she said. "You think I could carry you a few miles up a mountain or that I could scare off some hungry wolves? No, if I'd been the one who found you we'd probably both be dead. It was Grayson that found you."

"Grayson?"

"Yes... he's never told us his first name, but he carried you into town and brought you to me. He even gave me a few coins to pay for my service. Not that I wouldn't have done it for free, anything for that sweet boy," Leslie said, handing Jason a refilled bowl.

"Could you tell me where he lives so that I might thank him?" Jason asked, taking the bowl and eagerly digging in again.

"No one in town knows where he lives, only that he comes down and helps us out once in a while," Leslie said. "He did say he'd want to see you when you awoke so perhaps he'll come by some time today."

Jason's heart jumped at the prospect of meeting the man who'd saved him.

A knock at the cottage's front door caught Jason's attention.

"Well I'll bet that's him right now," Leslie said, moving to open the door.

When Jason saw the man standing at the door his breath seemed to catch in his throat. He recognized those impossibly bright blue eyes. It was him... Grayson.

"Come in," Lesley said, grabbing Dick by the arm and nearly dragging him inside. "He just woke up a few minutes ago."

Dick offered Jason a hand to shake with a huge smile on his face. "Hi, my name's... umm, you can call me Grayson... What's your name?"

"I'm Jason."

"Well Jason, it's a pleasure to meet you," Dick replied cheerily.

"Uh, pleasure to meet you too... a-and thanks for rescuing me," Jason said slightly nervously.

"Oh, it's no problem. It's a pity I couldn't find your horse, but at least the wolves didn't get too much of you," Dick replied. "Soooo... what brought you to Blüdhaven?" He asked.

Jason shifted on the small cot he was sitting on. "Well I'm a knight, and I heard you had a dragon problem, so I came to slay the dragon," he said.

Dick stiffened slightly.

"Slay the dragon?" Leslie asked incredulously. "Not if us villagers have anything to say about it. Nightwing has never done anything to hurt anybody. In fact, he's the reason many of us are still alive. He takes care of the thieves and bandits and keeps our flocks safe. He even brings supplies like hay, berries, herbs, and sheep to those in the village who are struggling."

"Wait a minute, you have a name for this dragon?" Jason asked.

"Of course we do! The dragons have been helping Blüdhaven for as long as I've been alive, perhaps longer. It's only right to have a name for the guardian of the village," Leslie said firmly. "And if anyone has plans of killing him, they're going to have to go through me."

"Is this true Grayson? Does this Nightwing help the village?" Jason asked, turning to Dick who hadn't spoken since Jason had mentioned killing the dragon.

"I... I don't really live in the village, but as far as I know Nightwing tries to help," Dick said somewhat sheepishly.

Jason's brow furrowed. A dragon that helped people... that was definitely something new. "Well I suppose I have no reason to kill the dragon if it isn't hurting anyone," he said.

"Now that that's settled," Leslie said. "Grayson, why don't you give Jason here a tour of the town."

"Sure," Dick said, grabbing Jason's hand and helping him stand before leading him to the door.

Jason's gaze flicked between Leslie and Dick, watching the silent exchange that seemed to be going on between the two. He didn't fail to notice the look that Leslie sent Dick's way, or the light blush that spread over the man's cheeks.

Dick cleared his throat and began showing Jason around.

Jason and Dick sat on a rock overlooking the village.

"So," Jason started. "You didn't show me your house."

"Oh... well I live a lot farther up the mountain..." Dick said, shifting uncomfortably.

The two sat in silence for a moment.

"So what're you going to do now that you know the truth about the dragon?" Dick asked.

Jason sighed. "I don't know... my father... the king... expects me to slay the dragon then come home to be married off," he said bitterly.

"Oh... a-and you don't want this?" Dick asked.

"I... I don't really want to talk about it... you wouldn't understand," Jason muttered.

"Oh ya? Try me," Dick said, grabbing Jason's hand and squeezing it.

Jason looked briefly at Dick's face, noting how sincere he looked, like all he wanted to do was understand what Jason was going to tell him.

"Come on. I promise, no judgement," Dick said.

"Fine," Jason huffed, dropping his gaze back to his lap. "I don't like women ok... I like men."

Dick was silent for a moment and Jason wondered if he'd just ruined the relationship he'd been building with the handsome stranger.

Jason felt a gentle finger under his chin, tilting his head upwards. He bit his lip nervously, not wanting to look Dick in the eye... afraid that he'd see the judgment and disgust he'd experienced before.

A gasp left Jason's mouth when he felt soft lips press against his own slightly chapped ones.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one," Dick said when he pulled back from their kiss.

Jason looked up into Dick's enchanting eyes, and he couldn't help but kiss him again.

Jason stared out the window of Leslie's cottage. It was the middle of the night, but he couldn't sleep. He was still thinking of the man he knew only as Grayson.

A black shape streaking across the edge of Jason's vision caught his attention. He peered through the darkness, trying to get a better view of whatever the streak had been.

A burst of flame illuminated a lithe black dragon with two furry white sheep clutched in its front claws.

Jason's mouth dropped open as he watched the dragon set the two sheep gently in a neighboring pasture before launching itself back into the air. "Wow," he breathed.

Dick came to see Jason again the next day, this time coming to the cottage with a pack full of fire wood for Leslie.

"Where're we going today?" Jason asked.

"Well you said you wanted to see my house yesterday, and after a bit of tidying I've decided to show you," Dick said, leading Jason up the trail to his house.

Jason sat on a boulder and tried to catch his breath. "How are you not winded?" He asked Dick.

"Well I do live up here, so I make the walk a lot," Dick answered, crouching to get a mouthful of water from a clear stream.

"I have another question..." Jason said, clearing his throat.

Dick turned to look at Jason, a teasing smile on his lips.

"Umm..." Jason started. "About yesterday... are you serious about... you know... this?" He asked, gesturing between Dick and himself.

"And if I said I was?" Dick asked.

"Well... I think I should at least get to know your name first... I mean Grayson is nice... but you know," Jason said, rubbing his neck nervously.

Dick's smile broadened. "You know... I don't think I've ever actually told anyone my real name," he said, standing and pulling Jason to his feet. "But then again... I don't think I've ever kissed anyone before either. Maybe you'll just have to remind me how good that kiss actually was."

Jason smiled and gave Dick a small peck on the lips. "Was that a good enough reminder?" He asked cheekily.

"Hmm... I guess... my name's Richard... Richard Grayson. I prefer the nickname Dick though... not that anyone calls me by my actual name, but that's what my parents called me so... ya," Dick said. "Anyway, my house is just around the corner."

Jason followed Dick past a stand of trees and into a small meadow where there was a cheery looking cottage nestled in thick raspberry bushes.

Dick rubbed the back of his neck. He hoped the cottage looked nice enough for Jason's standards... more importantly he hoped it looked lived in... he'd only ever spent one night there, the previous night to be exact, and he hadn't had much time to clean everything up. "Do you like it?" He asked.

"It looks so nice and cozy," Jason said, feeling a twinge of jealousy. Dick's house looked like something straight out of a dream, and if he'd had the option, he would've traded lives with Dick right then and there...

Dick breathed out a sigh of relief. He was glad Jason seemed to like the cottage... he assumed that if he'd taken Jason all the way to his actual house... let's just say there would be lots of questions.

Jason wandered around the meadow, brushing his hand through the tall soft grass and bending to smell the flowers.

Dick picked a raspberry from a nearby bush and popped it into his mouth. "Oh, Jason these berries are soooo good!" He said, reaching down to grab more.

Jason made his way to Dick's side. "I don't think I've ever tried berries like these before... much less picked them myself," he said.

"They're called raspberries," Dick said, grabbing a few and placing them in Jason's hand. "Try some."

Jason popped the berries into his mouth and hummed in approval when he tasted their delicious sweetness. "Mmm those are good!" He said with a wide raspberry-stained grin.

Over the next week Jason became more acquainted with the workings of the village. It turned out he had a knack for medicine and spent long hours helping Leslie care for the sick and collect her herbs. He was also quite good at slaughtering chickens... but then again, what knight isn't...

Dick found himself drawing closer to Jason the more time they spent together, and by the end of the week they were at a point where Leslie considered them to be courting... something she often encouraged with small smirks and winks.

Everything was going exceptionally, and Jason was at the point where he was considering making a permanent home in the village.

Of course that's when everything had to go wrong.

Jason was awoken from his peaceful slumber by the sound of snorting horses and what sounded like battle cries. He quickly pulled on his armor and rushed out of the room in Leslie's cottage that had become his.

Leslie was peering through one of her windows, armed with her sharpest cooking knife.

"What's going on?" Jason asked, grabbing his sword and strapping it on.

"Knights... there are knights attacking Blüdhaven," Leslie deadpanned.

Jason started out the door, but stopped when he felt Leslie's hand on his arm.

"It's too dangerous son, let Nightwing handle this," she said.

"I'm a knight," Jason replied. "It's my job to protect the innocent."

Leslie nodded sadly. "At least take this then," she said, walking over to a small chest in the corner of the room and grabbing something from inside. She walked back to the door and handed a bundle of blankets to Jason. "This once belonged to a great knight... and now... it's yours..."

Jason moved asked the blankets and found a gleaming red helmet. His jaw dropped as he took in the fabulous workmanship...

Leslie gently took it from his hands and placed it on his head. "Now go save us," she said. "Red Hood."

Jason followed the deep resonant sound of dragon roars to a nearby farm.

Nightwing was crouched in front of the farmer's small hut with his great black wings stretched out as if he were blocking the knights from getting any further.

Jason sprinted toward the group, noticing the various farm animals that were lying in pools of their own blood, no doubt the work of the knights.

As he approached, Jason started to recognize some of the knights... these were his father's men.

"Stop!" Jason shouted, running between the knights and the dragon.

"Sir Jason?" One of the knights asked incredulously.

"Yes, it's me... and I command you to lower your weapons," Jason said, raising his sword.

"Sir... we have orders from your father to slay the beast. When your horse returned to the castle without you he assumed you'd been killed... so he gave the order to come here and kill that dragon," another knight said.

"Well I'm not dead am I, and I'm ordering you to let the dragon go," Jason said, trying his best to sound commanding. Behind him Nightwing's roars had quieted and the dragon had folded his wings back to rest on his sides.

"I suppose we could let the beast go..." a knight mused. "But I'd like to know why. Your duty was to slay the dragon, so why are you now protecting it?"

"Because he protects the village. He chases off invaders, protects herds, and makes sure the villagers have everything they need," Jason said, lowering his sword.

Nightwing took a step forward and lowered his massive head to rub against Jason's side, making him chuckle.

Jason watched as the knights lowered their swords and torches, and he let out a relieved breath... that was until he heard the distinctive sound of a crossbow firing and the noise of the large bolt lodging itself in Nightwing's chest.

"NO!" Jason screamed as he watched the dragon frantically beat its wings and fly away as fast as it could, pained keening noises drifting back toward the knights on the wind.

The rest of the knights cheered and banged their swords on their shields.

"I'm sorry Sir Jason, but our orders were to kill the beast, and that's what we are going to do," a man Jason recognized as one of Bruce's generals said, lowing his crossbow. "Now men, let's go kill a dragon!"

Jason kicked his mount, urging it to go faster. He had to find Nightwing before his father's knights did. He had to save the poor dragon.

When the mountain's peak came into view and the terrain changed from the previously well worn trail to a clearing scattered with massive boulders Jason swung down from his horse, quietly thanking whoever had thought to bring it for him, and continued on foot, running through the boulders and looking for any sign of the black dragon.

Jason skidded to a halt. His chest heaved as he sucked in deep gasping breaths, but he saw something; the shaft of the large crossbow bolt that had been fired at Nightwing. He scrambled over a particularly large boulder and froze.

While he'd been expecting to find a large dragon, Jason hadn't been expecting to see Dick, with the crossbow bolt sticking out of his chest.

"Dickie," Jason breathed as he knelt by Dick's side.

Dick's eyes fluttered open for a few seconds.

"You were the dragon..." Jason breathed. "You are Nightwing..."

Dick gave a weak smile which quickly turned into a grimace. "Jay," he mumbled, his head lolling to the side.

"Shh Dickie... save your energy... We need to get you to Leslie," Jason said as he brushed Dick's sweaty hair off of his forehead.

"Nngh J-Jay... pull... p-pull the bolt out," Dick said, loosely grabbing Jason's hand and dragging it towards the crossbow bolt.

"Dick, that'll kill you. You'll bleed out..." Jason said.

Dick whimpered. "N-no... 'm a dragon... it'll h-heal faster," he mumbled.

"But... but what if it doesn't?" Jason asked, a hint of his fear creeping into his voice.

"P-please... it h-hurts," Dick pleaded.

Jason squeezed his eyes closed for a second. "Ok," he said. "But you better not die on me Grayson."

Dick tried to give Jason his best reassuring smile, but it came out looking more pained than anything.

Jason tore strips from his tunic to use as bandages before gritting his teeth, gripping the blood-slicked crossbow bolt, and pulling.

The bolt came free with a horrific sucking noise, and Jason hurried to wrap the wound, panicking when he saw Dick's crimson blood gushing from the hole.

Dick let out another quiet whimper when Jason tied the final knot on his impromptu bandage.

Jason shushed Dick softly as he heard the voices of the other knights closing in. "We need to get you back to Leslie," he whispered.

Dick shook his head. "Th... they'll catch us," he said tiredly. "G-go to my cave... 's closer."

Jason stood and carefully pulled Dick to his feet.

Dick leaned heavily against Jason's chest, his arms wrapped loosely around the taller man's waist.

"I don't know where your cave is Dickie," Jason said.

"Jus' go uphill," Dick muttered, letting his eyes drift closed tiredly.

Jason sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Dick wasn't much help at this particular moment.

Movement in the corner of his eye caught Jason's attention. His horse was wandering through the boulders, no doubt looking for something to graze on.

Jason cupped a hand to his mouth and let out a series of bird chirps, a signal he'd trained his horse to respond to.

The horse came trotting over a few seconds later, and Jason grabbed the reins. "Do you think you could get into the saddle if I gave you a boost Dickie?" He asked.

"Uhhh," Dick said looking up at the tall horse. "Yes?"

Jason wasn't exactly encouraged by the lack of confidence in Dick's voice, but the alternative of getting caught and killed by his father's knights was admittedly worse, so, with a little boost, Jason helped Dick swing up into the saddle.

Dick's eyes were half lidded, and his head dropped down until it was nearly resting in the horse's mane.

Jason took Dick's foot out of the stirrup and replaced it with his own, swinging up behind him in the saddle.

Dick started leaning to the left, his eyes finally sliding shut.

"Stay on the horse Dickiebird," Jason said, grabbing Dick's shoulders and gently pulling him back to lie against his chest before turning his horse and urging him up the hill.

Dick and Jason eventually made it into Dick's cave, something that was harder than it should've been because of Dick's state of sleepy incoherence.

Jason rode his horse into the remarkably well concealed cave and dismounted. He grabbed Dick's waist with both hands and told him to swing his right foot back over the horse so he could get down.

Despite his best efforts, Dick ended up simply falling into Jason's arms.

Jason chuckled and carried Dick further into the room, setting him down on the ground.

Dick whined quietly, making childish grabby hands when Jason put him on the cold floor.

"I need to check your wound," Jason said, gently lowering Dick's hands to his sides and unwrapping the bandaging.

The blood hadn't soaked through the outer layers of the bandage, which was a relief, but as the layers got closer to the wound they pulled at the skin where the dried blood connected the two.

Jason bit his lip when he got to a particularly firmly attached area, and he started looking around for something that could help.

Eventually, he simply found a sort of bowl and filled it with water from a small underground stream. He poured the water over the bandages to help soften the dried blood, and he was eventually able to peel them the rest of the way off.

What Jason saw beneath the soiled bandages startled him. Where there had once been a gaping wound, there was now a large patch of soft translucent scales.

"Wh... what is this?" Jason asked in confusion.

"Scab..." Dick said. "Don't humans have... have scabs?" He asked, his eyes flickering closed.

"We do... just... just not like this..." Jason replied.

Dick shifted slightly. "Humans 'r weird," he mumbled.

Jason chuckled quietly, trying his best to examine Dick's wound. He eventually decided that the wound needed to be rewrapped, but would be fine without professional care.

Dick cried out when Jason briefly left his side, and when his lover returned he flailed his arm around until he managed to find and grasp Jason's hand.

Jason smiled and gently began to wipe the dried blood from Dick's chest with the rest of his tunic that he'd dipped in a pot of water he'd found simmering over a dying fire.

Dick's eyes closed and his breathing evened out as he relaxed, the warmth of the impromptu rag Jason held lulling him into a much needed slumber.

Jason woke up with Dick snuggled up on the floor next to him, something he'd specifically tried to avoid by tramping through the cave system for a good 30 minutes looking for whatever Dick used as a bed.

Once Jason had finally found a pile of furs that looked like as good a bed as any, he'd set Dick down on them and returned back to the room containing the entrance of the cave to settle down for his own rest.

Jason had to admit that he'd slept rather well despite the hard floor beneath him...

Dick whimpered softly in his sleep and shifted, one hand reaching out. "Mami... Tati," he cried out softly. Tears rolled down his sleeping face as he relived the worst moment of his life in his nightmare.

"Wake up," Jason said, roughly shaking Dick's shoulder trying to get him to snap out of his nightmare.

Dick's eyes snapped open and he shot to his feet, tensing and looking around the room in confusion.

Jason stood and slowly approached Dick, gently grabbing his hand and turning him so they were facing each other.

Dick looked at Jason for a moment before he burst into tears and threw himself into his lover's arms.

Jason whispered reassurances to the shorter boy in his arms and rubbed his back gently.

Dick leaned into the warm embrace, his head buried in Jason's chest.

"Wanna talk about it?" Jason asked gently.

Dick sniffed. "I-I don't know..." he mumbled, gripping tightly onto the new tunic Jason had changed into the night before.

"It might help," Jason said, holding Dick tightly.

"Ok..." Dick answered after a while. "I-it was a n-nightmare... about my parents' death."

"Oh... Dickie, I'm so sorry," Jason said, resting his chin on the top of Dick's head.

"I-it was a... a l-long time ago," Dick said, sniffling again. "The... the knights j-just reminded me o-of them."

"Shhhh, it's perfectly fine to miss them still, even if they've been gone for a while."

Dick relaxed slightly into Jason's embrace, wishing he could stay safely in the arms of his lover forever, and though Dick didn't say anything, Jason could tell he just needed to be held, so he was going to hold him for as long as he needed... And he did.

Jason and Dick were sitting side by side on a small outcropping of rocks, their fingers entwined, and their heads leaned together.

"You know they used to call us knights... us dragons I mean," Dick said suddenly. "The word came because we'd fly over our cities after sundown and look for any danger," he continued. "Each dragon used to protect their own city, help the people who lived there and make sure everyone had what they needed... Unfortunately some of them chose to set themselves as kings or gods over their people, stealing and demanding a tribute... but those of us who dedicated ourselves to protecting our cities, we were the original knights."

Jason squeezed Dick's hand slightly. "I... I never knew that," he said quietly.

"Obviously the word means something different now... seeing you're only seen as a true knight after you've slain a dragon," Dick said, bitterness filling his voice. "That's... that's how my parents died..." he whispered, voice cracking. "I was only 8... a-and my parents were going to take me on my first flight over the city... they... they decided to do an initial sweep... and... and I saw them get shot down." Tears ran down Dick's cheeks, his voice filled with sadness.

Jason gently wiped Dick's tears away with his thumb, pulling the older into a hug. "I'll never let that happen to you Dickie," he vowed. "I'll lay down my own life before I let a knight... or... or anyone else hurt you."

Dick leaned into Jason's touch. "Thanks Jay... that means a lot."

After seeing that Dick's wound was completely healed, Jason and Dick made their way back to the village on Jason's horse, hoping that the knights hadn't continued to destroy it.

The first place they headed was Leslie's cottage. Both Dick and Jason breathed a sigh of relief when they saw that it was untouched and Leslie was unharmed.

"Boys! I was so worried about you!" Leslie nearly shouted as she ushered Dick and Jason inside. "I stayed up almost all night fretting about you Jason," she said, whacking him lightly on the arm.

"Oh... uh... Sorry?" Jason said.

"Where did you go all last night?" Leslie demanded, folding her arms over her chest.

"We hid out in a cave," Dick said.

"You boys must be starving!" Leslie exclaimed. "I made some stew earlier and I want you to help yourselves. I'm going to check on a few of the neighbors really quick. Make yourselves comfortable," Leslie said as she exited the cottage with a wave.

Dick and Jason turned to each other and burst into laughter.

"Remind me never to get Leslie mad again," Jason said.

Dick smiled. "Ya me t... t...o..." his voice trailed off as he fell limply to the ground.

"Dick!" Jason called, kneeling at his lover's side an and placing a hand on his cheek. "Wake up... come on Dickie... please."

Bright red fletchings caught Jason's attention, and he carefully pulled a dart from Dick's shoulder.

The slamming of the cottage door caught Jason's attention. He looked up and froze. There he was. The dark knight himself... Jason's father... Bruce Wayne...

"So this is the little dragon," Bruce said. "It's a shame he's one of the last ones."

Jason stood slowly. "Bruce," he growled. "You and your knights have killed countless dragons, but you're not going to kill this one."

"And would you mind telling me why I'm going to spare the life of this single dragon when I've ordered the death of hundreds of others. I believe I even sent Sir Tony to kill this one's parents," Bruce said casually, leaning against the doorframe.

"He's a good person. He protects this village, surely he doesn't deserve to die just for sport or because of misconceptions about his kind," Jason said, stepping between Dick and Bruce.

"Jason... you're so naive... you thought this was just about killing the dragons? I'll admit, it has turned into somewhat of a rite of passage, but no. It's about something all of these beasts have inside of them... their hearts." Bruce said. "Our ancestors long ago figured out how to harvest the dragon's hearts and imbue ourselves with their power. And now, it's your turn."

Jason was horrified. "You killed innocent creatures just so you could become more powerful?" He asked, disgust clear in his voice.

"Oh Jason, they're only dragons. You think just because this one has taken on a human form that he is a human?" Bruce let out a harsh laugh. "They're just beasts Jason... monsters that need to be eradicated."

"No," Jason said firmly. "They're more than that... he's more than that... a-and I love him... I am in love with him."

Bruce's lip curled. "I knew I was too lenient with you Jason. I should've kicked you out at 12 like my father did to me, but no, I just had to be soft... I'm done dealing with you and your disobedience, so you are going to cut out that little dragon's heart or I will do it for you."

"No!" Jason cried out, his voice shaking with his panic. "I-I... I challenge you to a duel... if... if I loose then you can kill him, but if I win then both of us are free."

Bruce smirked. "You really think you can beat me? I've already been enhanced by the blood from a dragon heart... but I'll accept your challenge... with one added condition; if I win you have to cut out the dragon boy's heart... and drink his blood."

Jason's breath caught in his throat. "I... I accept the terms..." he said quietly.

Bruce and Jason stood facing each other, swords at the ready.

Dick was still unconscious, laying in the dirt nearby.

"If this is what I have to do to get you to obey then I'll do it Jason... Don't think I'll hold back because you're my son," Bruce said, lifting his sword.

Jason lifted his own blade. "I know," he replied, then he lunged.

Jason and Bruce fought furiously, their blades clashing together in a deadly dance... For a while it seemed as if Bruce and Jason were evenly matched, but all it took was a moment's distraction and Jason's sword had been knocked out of his hands and kicked across their impromptu fighting ring.

Jason scooted across the ground, trying to put some distance between him and Bruce.

Bruce advanced slowly with a smirk on his face. He held his sword low, the tip carving a line across the dirt.

'It's over,' Jason thought. He took a shaking breath, but then he glanced to the side and caught sight of the man he'd fallen in love with... No... he couldn't loose this fight. His life wasn't the only one on the line... He had to win.

Bruce started to raise his sword, but suddenly Jason was moving. He grabbed a handful of dirt and tossed it in Bruce's eyes before lunging to the side. He rolled and came up with his sword in hand.

Jason was leaping forward again before Bruce even had the chance to turn to face him.

Bruce raised his sword to block one of Jason's strikes, but there was a slight tremor in his arm when their blades connected.

Jason sent swing after swing at Bruce, trying to find a way through his expert defense. He had to win this, he had to save Dick.

With his purpose clear, and the memory of Dick's smile echoing in his mind, Jason swung with all his might, his sword coming down in a deadly arc toward Bruce's head.

Bruce lifted his blade to meet the strike, but when the two swords connected his blade exploded into shards.

The dual ended with a sword at Bruce's neck. Jason had won. He was finally free... Dick was free.

"Now take your knights and leave Blüdhaven," Jason demanded, not lowering his sword.

Bruce closed his eyes for a moment, dropping the hilt of his blade into the dirt. "Jason... if you choose this path you can never come back... you know this," Bruce said.

"I know. I'm happy here," Jason replied.

"When I go back I'll tell them that you died. Your station... your life at the palace, you'll loose it all. It'll be as if you really died here today. Are you sure you want to loose all that?" Bruce asked.

"I've finally found love here... and I'm not going to waste that," Jason said, looking over to where Dick had began to stir.

Bruce sighed. "Well fought Jason... goodbye," he said.

Jason watched as Bruce left, calling to the other knights and mounting his horse...

Dick groaned and scrunched up his face as he stretched.

Jason moved to Dick's side and scooped him into his arms, taking him back into Leslie's cottage.

Dick opened his eyes partially and looked up at Jason for a moment. "Jay," he said finally.

Jason set Dick down on one of Leslie's stools and hummed in response.

"I love you Jay," Dick said, grabbing Jason's hand. "Remember that thing we did that first day we met?" He asked, shooting Jason a sly smile.

"Hmm, I don't know that I do..." Jason replied. "I think I need a reminder."

Dick stood before pulling Jason into a deep kiss.

Jason wrapped an arm around Dick's waist, pulling him closer. There was absolutely no doubt in his mind. He'd definitely made the right choice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

392K 6.2K 59
This story is complete, it will no longer be updated and I am no longer taking requests. :)
856K 22.5K 102
My one shots for you lovely Birdies! Thanks for my top ranking so far: 46 out of 14k in #robin!
9.8K 200 72
Some DC Imagines from my Tumblr. I do take requests but they may take some time. I don't own any dc characters. Obviously, I don't own you. batfam...
237K 4.3K 34
A collection of stories between Nightwing (Dick Grayson) and Reader.