Chapter 2

Luca 

I’ve had everything I wanted all my life, and I’m never disappointed with whatever happens to me. I’m rather optimistic, but I can be a true pessimistic on subjects that I’m passionate about. Yeah, I’m a weird guy, but I seem to fit in well here in New Jersey. It’s rather peaceful, for say, and I find that my peers here easy to get along with. 

“Luca, le temps de se lever! (Luca, time to get up)” I hear my mother call. In Quebec---the city I’m from (it’s in Quebec province, Canada)---we mostly speak French. 

“Je suis debout! (I’m up!)” I call back, sliding out of my cozy bed.

I walk over to my closet and pick out a dark blue polo shirt with a grey tie---I have a thing for ties, and I don’t know why---a black blazer and jeans. Satisfied with myself I went to brush my teeth, then fix my hair. I didn’t bother to eat breakfast, wasn’t really that hungry, so I said a goodbye to my mom, and headed to school.

I walk through the double doors at my newest school. Being a new kid, I have no friends here, so I saunter around the halls looking for people to talk to. There were children all alined on the lockers talking casually, smiling and giggling; making me feel a slight playful envy. 

I smiled to myself. This school is so upbeat, just like my old one, and it made me feel more at home. That was until I walked down a hallway and spotted an enormous boy with jet black hair, and cold brown eyes leaning against a locker. His arms were crossed, and he stared right at me. I felt my air way getting cut off with nervousness, with his intense stare. 

“Hey rich kid!” He called, and I started to hyperventilate. He left the lockers and walked over to me.  

“Um, hi” I say and he holds up a fist, and I flinch. 

“Dude, not going to punch you” he said and a wave of relief washed over me. “Just fist pound, and maybe I wont” he said and I quickly punched his fist. 

“Bye” I said quickly, sprinting down the hall. 

I started down the hallway and I heard some kind of shrilly screeching sound. It sounded like it was crying out in pain, immense pain. I bolted down the hallway and stopped when the yelling was the loudest. It was definitely a girl screaming, you can just about go deaf from where I’m standing. 

I poked my head around the corner and saw that enormous boy gripping a girl’s wrist. 

“What did I ever do to you?” She said barely audible. The boy gave her no response, but punched her in her stomach. I nearly gasped at the sight, it was completely uncalled for! She fell over and began sobbing heavily, and I felt myself beginning to tear up. She was so hurt, and look at me, I’m just sitting here watching her. 

He kicked her ribs repeatedly, and with each hit I flinch as well. It was horrific, and it left me scared for her. What if she’s over there suffering with internal bleeding, and who’s fault would that be? Mine! I was just standing over here like a defenseless child; not even dawning upon going over to at least help her. 

I immediately felt better, when he stopped kicking her. He must be done with torturing her inhumanely. He then kicked her messenger bag; sending papers flying everywhere, laughing pity. It made my blood boil to it’s peak, and just when I was going to run up to him and jump him he ran away. The coward! 

First he attempts to be friendly with me. Then he goes and viciously beats up a poor defenseless girl. You don’t hit girls, that is a common rule of a guy! If you hit a girl then you’re a jerk, a big fat jerk! Hasn’t he ever heard of chivalry? I mean this is no way to treat a woman! Ugh it just gets under my skin!

I hurried over and hovered over her. Her hair was sprawled all over her face and to the sides, and she laid bunched up in a ball---an uncomfortable ball---as if it’s the only thing holding her life together.

“Hey...Get up...Please?” I said hopefully, but she remained silent. I started to panic, she was really out cold, and it’s my fault for not helping!“Oh man, come on, please wake up” I pleaded desperately. 

I ran over to pick up her things and then picked her up bridal style, and walking briskly, taking her to the nurses office “Um...Ms. Martin, I found this girl in the hallway” I said reading her name off her desk

“Okay sweetie, set her down over here” she said sweetly, and a wave of relief came over me. Thank goodness someone was going to help her! 

I sat her down on the bed and whispered in her ear “I hope you’re okay”