Chapter 7

Luca

I can't believe what I had just done! I just got myself into a world of trouble with the school bully! The school bully that beats up Riley. The bully I'm supposed to save her from! But how in the world did I end up tutoring him in French? I don't know how to teach a person! I barely know how I learned French or English. I just know them!

"Oh Luca Amellio Ruggiero, you're an idiot! How do you not even know the bully's name, but you're teaching him French? You barely know this city, but you have to meet up to teach him! What kind of idiot does that? This idiot right here!" I scolded myself.

I sighed, and pulled an apple out of my bag; taking a big bite out of it. What am I going to do now? If I bail on teaching him, I get my butt kicked. If I attempt to teach him, and he doesn't get it; I get my butt kicked. Is there any way I can win? I don't want to get beat up! I just want to save my friend from getting it. But how am I going to do that? Why can't there be an answer to everything!

"You're late rich kid" the bully growled.

"I'm sorry, I moved here last week. I don't know this town very well," I said quietly. It's surprising that I even found this place. "Well, lets learn French" I said trying to change the subject. "How much do you know?"

"Rich kid, why do you think I'm failing?" he said plainly, and my face fell. How am I going to teach a senior two years of French!

"Um my name is Luca, Luca Ruggiero" I corrected him, and he glared at me.

"Fine since we're introducing each other, I'm Tiberius Lincoln" he said shortly. "Now Luca teach me French"

"Um...well...I don't know how to teach someone French" I blurted out. "I don't even know how I learned it, I don't even know how I learned English" I rambled and his glare grew colder.

His already cold brown eyes, now filled with malice and hatred. It pierced through my body as if I had gotten stabbed, and the person left the blade in me. For once in my life, I felt as if I was going to die from a cold stare.

Tiberius Lincoln, is truly a monster...

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I shout falling to the ground, covering every vital area I could.

"Rich kid. I'm not going to hurt you...Look I just want one thing" he said and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Ha! That's a full blown lie! I bet he hurts anybody that makes him mad, or doesn't let him have his way. Just watch, right when I drop my guard, he'll kill me. "I just need someone that will help me. Someone who isn't afraid of me...So far, there's nobody like that" he said warmly.

"What are you saying?" I asked quietly.

"I'm saying...I need a friend"

I couldn't believe this guy needs a friend. He seems like he'd have a whole crew full of bullies. Why does he need one? Not trying to be mean, but how could you have one when you go around beating up girls? I don't think that gives you popularity points.

"Why me? I'm a ninth grader, you're a senior. In fact you threatened to pound me if I talked to you in the hallways. That's scary" I said and his face softened. This is a side that you'd never see from him. Someone that looks gentle. His eyes turned darker, almost as soft as Riley's eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know how to tell you" he said and I held back a gasp. He said 'I'm sorry' whoa! That is not Tiberius. "I just feel as if you're the only one that wont run away from me, like you aren't running away now"

"Je suis désolé de vous le dire, mais je suis terrifié (I'm sorry to tell you this, but I'm terrified)"

 "Um rich kid, what did you just say"

"Nothing. Now look here," I said starting to fill up with confidence. "I don't want you talking to me in the halls, it'll be weird for the local bully to be talking to ninth graders. Also, don't talk to me at lunch unless I'm alone, yet again reiterating what I was just saying. I'll talk to you one on one at these French lessons. Got it!" I said, and immediately felt proud. I just stood my ground to the baddest kid in school.

"I understand" he said simply.

"Good, you're first official lesson starts tomorrow, same place, same time. That way I have time to plan this out" I said walking away, my head held high.

Even though I have befriended---sort of---Riley's tormentor; I can spy from the inside and figure out why. That way, I will be able to save Riley. Befriending him is just for Riley, not for me...

In order for this to be completely successful. This needs to be another secret from Riley. Even though it'll hurt later; I'm sure she'll be grateful.