Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Riley 

“Riley, time to get up” I hear a shout through the door. 

I groggily opened my eyes, knowing I would have to face the horrors of high school bullying again. There’s no way I can avoid it, and no way I can stop it, so why bother? So, I’m going to go to school and get my butt beat! Woo ho! 

I slipped out of bed and went to my closet, peering at my selection of clothes. “Let’s see which one do I want to get beat in” I mumbled incoherently. I picked out a teal long sleeved shirt with frilly edges, and a pair of black jeans. 

“Riley, hurry up!”

I pick up my messenger bag and pulled out a comb to quickly comb my hair then head out of the room. Quickly I head down the hall where the main girls bathroom in the group home was. It was filled with nonsense chatter about how awesome high school was, and how they couldn’t wait to meet some Prince charming or something. 

I scoffed internally, knowing that will never happen. There is no Prince charming in this world, it’s just a guy who believes in chivalry. Some guy who wont ever beat you up if you say something wrong. Yeah, like that special somebody exists. Please, I haven’t met one person like that; therefore that person doesn’t exist. 

I walk through the double doors at school trying to ignore what was bound to happen. My brutal beating, was approaching, I can feel it. I crept my way to my locker twisting the combination lock, hoping nobody would see me. With ease, I successfully opened it, and put some unneeded books in there, and slammed it shut. Oh man, bad idea, I think I just attracted attention. I twisted my head around, and nobody seemed to notice. But that frightened me, something was bound to happen.

I begin to panic, and try to walk hastily to my homeroom. Please nobody pay attention to me. Please nobody pay attention to me! I squeezed my eyes shut and walk a bit faster, feeling slightly more confident that I was going to make it. 

Bang! I smacked into something hard and I landed on the ground. See I knew it! 

“Hey, look who’s here!” A familiar voice said. 

I look up to see a one of my tormentors, Tiberius Lincoln. Tiberius was very built up, and has a very short temper. It’s rumored that he’s had many lovers, but none of them really stick around long, and whenever he’s finished with them they mysteriously move away. I think he kills them, and that scares me. 

His jet black hair hung over cold brown eyes, as he stared down at me. He was so intimidating; and that’s because he’s like ten times bigger---muscular---than me. 

“Hey T-t-Tiberius” I stammered trying to avoid eye contact. 

“Little red” He said shortly 

I got up and brushed myself off. “Sorry for running into you” I apologized holding out my hand, hoping for an easy handshake. 

“Humph” he grumbled taking my hand. I gave him a small smile. He smiled back but it was devilish, a smile full of evil intentions. He began squeezing my hand, and I felt my arm go numb. My face twisted in pain, and in turn he squeezed harder, and I screech in pain.

 “What did I ever do to you?” I manage to squeeze out. I received no answer, but thankfully he let go of my hand. Whew, thank goodness, I’m feeling back in my arm. “Thank you” I say gratefully, and his face turned into a scowl. 

I felt a swift punch in the gut, and I tumble to the ground, my messenger bag fell off my shoulder. He kicked me in my ribs over and over; harder with each hit. I cry hard, and wail trying to do anything to stop him but it’s futile; nothing stops him. He stopped kicking me, and kicked my bag away, scattering my papers all over the hallway. 

I shut my eyes lazily and felt unconsciousness swarm over my body...

“Hey...Get up...Please?” I hear an unfamiliar voice say, it sounded like a boy---somewhat.  I remained silent hoping this person would give up and go away. I hoped, he wouldn’t care enough to stay here and see if I was okay. “Oh man, come on, please wake up” the voice desperately pleaded touching my side, I’m guessing to check for breathing.

Immense pain shot through me like a bullet going through my head. I wanted to cry out in pain, but my throat was sore, and dry from my wailing earlier. Come on kid, go away, it’s for the best. The child walked away, and I smiled internally. In the distance I could hear shuffling of papers, and I assumed he was picking up those papers from my bag. 

Soon the footsteps came back and I tensed up. This kid just doesn’t give up! Warm hands slipped under my back and under my knees. I heard a tiny grunt, but the person managed to pick me up and hold me as if I was a Princess on some cheesy Disney movie. He carried me down some hallway and before you knew it I heard a door creak open, and a smell of latex gloves filled my nostrils. 

“Um Ms. Martin, I found this girl in the hallway” I heard him say. 

“Okay sweetie, set her down over here” I heard an older more female voice say. 

I was set down on a soft bed, and the last thing I heard was: “I hope you’re okay”