chapter 11

Luca

I have to fix this problem.

I have to fix it soon. 

Fix it before I leave. 

Possibly for good...

I don’t know when I’m moving again. I never know. It just happens whenever my father’s done. It’ll be a matter of time till he’s done his case in Quebec, then comes to finish another one down here. He’s some word detective, someone who solves stuff all over the world. Big job...

His next case he has is about some homicide that happened about eight or nine years ago.  It was so tough for the American detectives to do it---they haven’t even figured out the murderer---so they call up the best detective they know. Knowing it’s my dad solving the case, It should be a piece of cake for him...It should take a max of two weeks, then we move back to Quebec...again.

By then I need to save Riley. 

Because...

I can’t leave her, 

still being tortured...

“Maman, je suis à la maison (Mom, I’m home.)” I said upon walking into the house. 

“Ahh Luca,” she started saying, her accent heavily laced. “How was school?” 

“Euh, permet simplement de dire que je suis ami avec les mauvaises personnes (Umm, lets just say I’m friends with the wrong people)” I mumbled walking over to the kitchen table, taking a seat. 

“Ahh. Drame, je souhaite à ce sujet (Ahh. Drama, tell me about it)” 

“Il ya cette fille. Elle est...comment dirais-je? Elle est comme une déesse. Cette chevelure flamboyante rouge-brun, les yeux bruns profonds innocents (There’s this girl. She’s...how do I put it? She’s like a goddess. That flaming red brown hair, those deep innocent brown eyes,)” I rambled about Riley. “Elle ne mérite pas...ce qui lui arrive...(She...doesn’t deserve what happens to her...)” I said, and she stared at me intently.

“Qu'est-ce qui se passe jamais, vous pouvez me le dire. Il n'ya pas de secrets dans cette maison (What ever is going on, you can tell me. There are no secrets in this house)” 

“Il ya cet enfant...un enfant très gros ... Son nom est Tibère, et il ... il l'a battue. Mal,(There’s this kid...a really big kid...His name is Tiberius, and he...he beat her up. Badly,)” I said starting to shake. “Je l'ai vu. J'ai tout vu, et j'ai été trop lâche pour la sauver. Trop d'un lâche pour lui dire. Et maintenant ... Je suis ami avec lui pour Je ne vais pas me faire tuer (I saw it. I saw it all, and I was too much of a coward to save her. Too much of a coward to tell her. And now...I’m friends with him so I wont get killed)” I cried out.

“Ne vous tenez vraiment à elle? (Do you really care about her?)” She asked and I nodded. “Alors dites-lui ... Dites-lui tout (Then tell her...Tell her everything)” she said shortly. “Vous devez, avant de partir pour le Québec (You have to, before we leave for Quebec)” 

“Mais, ce qui, si elle me déteste pour cela? J'étais comme un lâche, et maintenant je suis ami avec le con! (But, what if she hates me for it? I was such a coward, and now I’m friends with the jerk!)” I argued and she looked at me softly. 

“Luca, si vous tenez vraiment à cette fille ... Dites-lui ... dès que possible (Luca, if you really care about this girl...Tell her...as soon as possible)” 

The next morning I drag myself out of bed, lazily looking over a selection of clothes. I didn’t want to go to school. I didn’t want to face Tiberius and his stupid French lessons. I didn’t want to face Riley, and tell her the truth.

I’m just scared. 

“Hey rich kid!” I hear Tiberius shout and I froze. Why doesn’t he listen to me? 

I walked over there, slightly stumbling. What could he want from me? Why does he have to go against what I said?

“Is there something wrong?” I asked trying to remain calm. 

“French homework. I don’t get it” he said simply and I looked at him. “Help?” 

“Um...Well, fine...I’ll do it” 

“Good” he said handing me his paper. “Thanks Luca. I’m glad you’re my friend” he warmly looking out into school yard that was slowly filling with people. 

I looked up as well...

I swore I saw Riley...

Glaring at me. 

I’m dead.