Chapter 3

Luca

I walk into what feels like the millionth classroom I’ve been in today. I’ve been doing the same thing over and over ever since I dropped that girl off. First you walk in, the teacher asks you to introduce yourself, you say hi, then for the rest of the class you’re filling out information cards. Now, I know this is what I should be doing as a new student, but I could honestly care less about what I should be doing. I want to know if that girl is okay! I want to know if she’s still breathing fine.

Here it comes the question:

“Luca can you introduce yourself to the class” my teacher asked and I rolled my eyes.

Saying hi:

“Luca Ruggiero (Roo-gee-eh-ro). I’m Canadian and slightly French and Italian, there” I said impatiently walking to an empty desk.

I decided to skip filling out information cards:

I spent the entire class doing nothing but praying she was okay. It’s just not fair to her! Why was she targeted? Why was she beaten? And I reiterate this again, why did I watch. I could’ve done something, I should’ve done something! It’s my fault she’s in that office unconscious, because I was too scared to help!

Thankfully my lunch bell rang, so I took the liberty to run out of the classroom not bothering to hear what the teacher had to say. I tried to remember where the nurses office was, but sadly my memory is fading along with my sanity. Quickly, I stop in the middle of an intersection and examine the small directory. The nurses office was just writiahead, yes!

I slowly opened the door to the office and peered inside. “Ah sweetie, what can I do you for?” Ms. Martin said and I jumped slightly.

“Um, is that girl I brought in earlier here?” I ask, nervously looking around.

“Ah yes, down the hall to the right”

“Thank you”

I walked my way down to her room and saw her just laying there. Her eyes were open and staring blankly at the ceiling, and she was barely moving. She looks so peaceful, so content. It brought warmth to my heart knowing she was okay. Thank goodness she was okay. I wouldn’t known what I would’ve done to myself if she was severely hurt.

I felt a lump form into my throat. Was I just going to stand here like an idiot, or am I going to get her attention? Just standing here staring at her makes me seem so crazy. Slowly, I took in a deep breath, and mustered up enough courage to knock on her door frame, making her turn her head over.

“Who are you?” She asked, removing some strands of hair from her face.

“Um, sorry. I’m the one who brought you here a couple hours ago” I said quietly, and she bit her lip.

“Um...thanks” she whispered looking away. “You know for visiting and taking me here”

“It’s cool” I said just as quiet. “Um, I’m Luca Ruggiero by the way”

“Riley Stone”

“I know this is soaking in awkwardness right now, but how are you feeling” I say, this time louder.

“Better I guess, I just need to get out of here. It’s so boring here” she complained and I smiled.

“Still soaking in awkwardness, but might as well continue; you wanna go to lunch with me?” I ask sheepishly, and her face lights up.

“Yeah lets get out of here”