Chapter 15

Luca 

I’ve never seen something so terrible before. I have been almost all over the Northern Hemisphere, but never---ever---have I’ve seen something bad as this. Not even my fathers cases of homicide faze me...Riley...She fazes me, her life story, her problems that she bottled up...

Why should Riley the most innocent girl in the world; have to be beaten and harassed by bullies? Why does Erin through her mental stability issues in her face; making her cry? Why is she an orphan, who people don’t care about? Why! The thought of this brings tears to my eyes. The fact that she doesn’t deserve any of this; the fact people don’t care; the fact that she thinks she’s trash...She knows it’s not true, I know it’s not true; it’s just the fact that she’s broken...Her spirit is broken...

I wish there was some way to ease her pain...

I slammed my fists against my bedroom wall in frustration. I have to help her! But I have to do this right. No more being a coward, no more hiding behind things to avoid getting hurt! It’s time I step to really do something; not hide in the shadows and wait for things to blow over! I’m not going to do that again.

This time...I will save Riley! 

I’ll save her from everything. 

I’ll be her rock.

Her hero. 

I walked over to my laptop opening it. Step one to save Riley, find out where Riley lives to apologize. Since she lives in a group home, it shouldn’t be so hard to find it...Hopefully...Quickly, I went on google, searching, ‘Group homes in Newark, New Jersey. 

Brighter Days Group Home

600 Arlington Drive Newark, NJ

Supervisor: Erin Cipriano

Andrew Lynches 

Brighter Days Group home is a home that takes in children and teens under of all ages. We offer help for those children with or without parents, and provide extra services if necessary---counseling, therapy, etc. 

When a child is brought to this home. We are dedicated to making their lives a pleasurable as possible. We help them through issues that could be harming them emotionally, and try to fix the ‘issue’ at their own pace.  

We are here to help, and we will do our very best to take care of the child’s needs. 

We hope we can add you to our family! 

I wrote down the address on a sticky note, and placed it in my pocket. I’m going to see Riley---although it may seem weird---I have to make things right. I can’t leave her mentally unstable, going through all of her troubles alone...It wouldn’t be fair, it’s already not fair to begin with. 

Out of breath, I walked up to the entrance of the group home. I trotted up the short flight of steps, approaching the wooden door. My reflection glared at me through the small mirror; warning me. “If you screw this up...You’ll never be friends with Riley. You’ll never be more than friends with Riley. Screw this up Luca...You’ll lose everything” The reflection told me and I gulped.

I’m going insane! 

“What’re you doing here kid?” Andrew said looking up from his newspaper. 

“Um, is Riley here? Is she back from therapy?” I asked shyly, and he lowered his eyes at me. 

“You’re that Luca kid,” he said simply, and I gulped. “She’s home, what do you want?” 

“I need to talk to her...” I said and he shrugged. 

“Fine, stay here” he groaned, slamming his newspaper on the desk. He walked over to the steps yelling, “Riley, you have a visitor!” Then he disappeared behind some door down the hall.  

Moments later, a very angry looking Riley came down the stairs, clad in grey plaid pajamas and a black long sleeve shirt. That gorgeous red brown hair was pulled into a curly ponytail with little strands in her face. The eyeliner---whatever she put on---was removed from her face, making it seem pale as ever. Those gorgeous eyes that were once so gentle and innocent looked hostile and glared at me like daggers.

“How’d you figure out where I live?” She asked simply crossing her arms. I pulled out the sticky note and handed it to her.  

“Um...Google’d it” I said and her eyes narrowed at me. 

“Right...So what do you want? Do you want to question my mental stability, or do you want to talk about something else?” She asked with irritation. 

“No...It’s just, I want to apologize for the mess I made. I really feel bad about it, and I think it isn’t fair how you have that burden on your shoulders, while I’m living it up in several mansions around the country. I want to help you...And just as I said earlier; I’ll do anything for you. I promise it...” I said feeling myself tear up. 

“You want to help me?” She responded calmly, and I nodded. 

“I want to make your life as pleasurable as I can. I...I...want to be with you...” I said looking into her gorgeous brown eyes. “I’ll be there when you need me all the time, I’ll be your rock. You can tell me anything you need, desire, anything for you. I promise I’ll give it to you, I’ll make you happy” 

“You aren’t going to dump me when I become too much to handle? You’re not going to say I’m a freak when I break down?” She asked and I cupped her face in my hands. 

“I promise...I Luca Amellio Ruggiero, will make Riley Stone’s life as pleasurable as I can possible” I said then kissed her forehead. “Can you be with me?” 

“Sure Luca...Sure” She said warmly throwing her arms around my neck, embracing me in a tight hug. I picked her up and spun her around, like those cheesy movies I’ve seen. 

“Can I come over tomorrow after another therapy session that is?” I asked raising my eyebrows. 

“Sure” she answered smiling. 

I can make her happy.

She smiled. 

She gave me a real hug. 

She’s...with me...