Chapter 4

Riley

A feeling of uneasiness settled in my stomach as we walked down the hall. Was it the fact that I hardly knew this boy I was walking with that created it? I mean, he just gives a vibe that makes me feel as if I should watch my back. He seems mysterious in my eyes. Someone who possibly has a dark past, possibly a darker past than my own, but who am I to judge.

But what is it that makes me feel this way? Is it his clothing, his oddly formal attire consisting of a blazer, polo, neck tie, and...jeans? Is it his flaming red hair that looks impeccably smooth and soft looking; as if you could take a nap in it? What is it about this Luca Ruggiero character? Who is he? And why does he act so friendly, why act so friendly...towards me?

“Riley, I’m so sorry this is awkward” Luca said for the umpteenth time, or what felt like it.

“I don’t care” I said simply, ugh, I can’t figure him out!

“I mean, I just want to make sure you’re feeling all right after being in the nurses office at least half of the day. And I just feel bad” he rambled on.

From where I see it; Luca seems like a caring person. He’d be someone who would defend somebody if he felt it was necessary; a person who’d do anything for a friend. “A hero...” My inner, positive, voice said. My positive inner voice is so annoying, it tries to make me think there’s actually someone out there that cares for me; when I know there’s not.

Ugh, snap out of it Riles! You don’t need this, no, you don’t want this! You can’t get what you want, life just doesn’t work like that, and you know it!” My negative, more reasonable, voice thought.

It’s true. I can never, ever, get the things that I want. It just never works out for me. Nothing ever comes out in my favor, just the opposing.' It was from the point of first grade when my life took a deep drop. Well, that is when it hit rock bottom.

There was once a point in my life where I was normal. I had a family consisting of me, my mother, and my father. I had friends, good friends, ones who’d do anything for you if you asked for it. In one measly day...It was all gone...

I was just going out to school, assuming it was a normal day. Go to classes, socialize, eat lunch, the usual. But little did I know, I would wait outside for hours waiting for my parents to pick me up. It brought sadness to my heart; they never came. “Had they forgotten me? Are they running late?” I asked myself. I take a look around the school yard, my eyes full of hope.“Impossible, they couldn’t have forgotten me...” I argue.

Feeling deflated I took a deep, shaky breath and dragged my six year old butt home.

I hoped they would be there to shower me with ‘I’m sorry, and please forgive us.' That’s when disaster struck. Police were all over the house, surrounding it like bees at their hive.

“What was going on? Why are the police here? Where’s my mom and dad?” I thought horrified.

It was pure horror from that point. The flashing lights from the cars felt as if they were blinding me. The sirens from ambulances coming were screaming my ears. The officers surrounding my house were all talking what looked so serious. What’s going on? I don’t understand! I stared at them, wondering. What were they talking about? What’s wrong? Their attention directed to me, and some woman quickly approached me.

“Come on sweetie, you can come with me” a sweet female voice---that wasn’t my mother---said. This must be who they’ve sent.

“I’m not going anywhere,” I said quietly, and the woman stared at me weirdly. “Did you hear me? I’m not going anywhere! Not without my parents!” I shout and her face fell.

She took my hands into hers and I felt tears became to accumulate in my eyes, threatening to spill over. I’m so confused...All I did was come home from school. What happened in between that?

“Andrew, I need a little help here” she said referring to the man now approaching us. More people to make this even more confusing...

Andrew smiled at me warmly and the tears streak down my face. His warm, welcoming smile is just like my fathers. My father, whom I have no idea where he is. I cry harder as the picture plastered itself into my mind.

They each squeezed my hand reassuringly and began to start walking towards a black car. How many times could I say this? I’m so confused...How come I’m the only one clueless in this situation? I needed to figure this out, and I needed to now. And the only way I can do this is finding my parents; that’ll be the key to everything. I thrashed around screaming and crying; hoping to get free.

Sadly my attempts failed. They calmed me down, and I was led into the black car. It drove away from my house, and as my house slowly disappeared floods of tears streaked down my face.

We pulled up to a large wooden house. And before you know it Andrew said “Riley Samantha Stone; this is your new home”

My eyes shrunk in horror as I eyed the house. This...isn’t...home...