Chapter 10

Riley 

I slowly sat up from my bed, drenched in cold sweat. Another stupid nightmare...and as long as my parents stay dead, they’ll continue. As much as I want them gone, I can’t help but still want them. It seems confusing to me; but I think I understand. The nightmares keep my parents with me all the time. They allow me to remember what they look like. Help me remember...I’m not always by myself...even when I feel as if I am. 

They give me...My strength. 

If you were here. 

I know what you’ll you say. 

“Don’t give up Riles”

My mom would say.

“When the going gets tough, give it a kick in the face” 

My dad would joke. 

Do what your parents say Riles. 

Well, what dad says at least. 

Give life a good kick in the face. 

Make it back off. 

Give you some breathing room. 

Anything. 

To make you feel better. 

Think about it like this Riles. 

When Tiberius gets you. 

You get him back. 

Don’t be the victim so easily. 

Speak your mind. 

Save yourself. 

This time Riles. 

Fight back. 

Be ready for what he throws at you. 

Be light on your feet. 

And if anything---being pessimistic. 

Be ready...

To die...

I’m depending on nobody outside of my family.

It’s just me and my parents. 

Together...

With them as my strength. 

I will! 

Overcome them. 

I will! 

Fight back. 

Give life a good kick in the face!

I sat up with determination and boldly walked to my closet picking out a white shirt, that exposed my bruises. Then I put on my black hoodie and some black jeans. Quickly, I walk over to my messenger bag and put on a heavy amount of eye liner, to bring out my now flaming---with determination---brown eyes. 

For the first time in a while...I smile...A real genuine smile...

I no longer care what I look like. I no longer care what other people will think. If people don’t like me...Then they can go somewhere else, because I’m Riley Samantha Stone! And this Stone, is no longer going to be a victim; no longer going to live in fear! 

I walked out of my room and headed down for the bathroom; catching the eyes of some of the girls. I’m guessing they’ve noticed, well, I don’t really care about it; it’s not like I want the attention. This is just a gesture of...coming out of my shell of fear.

“Riley, oh my gosh what did you do to yourself? You look gorgeous!” One of the girls cooed and I smiled slightly. 

“Thanks...I...um...wanted to come out of my shell...” I said looking down at my shirt. You could see the dark purple bruises poking right through it.

“You should totally sit next to us when we eat dinner. Me and Arizona would really love extra company” she said and I nodded, filling myself fill with confidence. 

“Yeah...Sounds like a plan” 

For once...

Things are coming out...

In my favor...