Chapter Fifty Four

"What present would you like for Christmas my love?"

Y/n didn't bother to look up from her book when Alois asked the question.

"I'm fine with anything you get me." She hummed, leaning back against Alois' chest. He rested his chin on her shoulder, snuggling into her more.

The maiden was comfortably sitting in the Earls lap upon his request.

Alois had finished up with his paperwork and came seeking her attention only to find her nose deep in a book. So he had simply asked for her to cuddle with him while she read and she happily complied. The couple had been cuddling in a peaceful silence until Alois had asked that question.

"Really? You don't have any requests for as to what I get you?"

"No Alois, I would be perfectly happy even if I didn't receive a gift from you." Y/n turned her head a bit, her lips meeting Alois' in a soft kiss.

Alois pouted against her lips.

"But I want to get you a gift."

"Then get me one," Y/n turned her attention back to her book.

"But how can I get you the perfect gift when you won't tell me what you'd like?!"

"Alright then, how about an engagement ring?" Y/n suggested, eyes scanning over the words printed in the book.

Alois smiled happily. "So you want jewelry? You could have just said so darling, I'll get you the most beautiful ring ever, and a necklace to match too! Then everyone will know that you are mine."

Y/n smiled and shook her head, exasperated.

"Sounds amazing, although I'm sure everyone already knows that by now. Is there anything you would like?"

Alois paused and looked down at the (h/c) haired maiden in his lap and thought about what he wanted.

"Will you spend the whole day with me?"

"I would hardly call that a gift."

Alois pouted at her harsh words.

"I don't know what I want then. You should surprise me! I love surprises," Alois smiled happily, his grip around Y/n's waist tightening. "Will you get me a surprise for Christmas?"

Y/n set down her book and placed her arms over top of his, leaning back comfortably.

"I'll get you a surprise then."

"Well Sebastian, I'd say we have our culprit."

Ciel placed the files on to his desk, resting his fingers lightly on the cream folder as he stood.

Sebastian closed his eyes in a charming smile.

"Yes, I'd say we do my Lord. Now all that is left is to apprehend them and bring them into custody."

Ciel nodded and walked over to the door of his study, pushing it open and walking out, his butler following after him.

"That was a tiresome case, I'm glad it's over. Let us hope lady Carter isn't there when we corner the culprit."

The sound of the pairs steps echoed throughout the corridor as they made their way to the front of the estate.

"That won't be a problem my Lord. Lady Carter has moved from the estate to live with Lord Trancy. They recently got engaged."

Ciel frowned at the news.

So Alois actually managed to win Lady Carter over? Such a shame.

Sebastian opened the carriage door for his master and moved to the front. Ciel stared idly out the window, resting his cheek on his fist as the carriage started to move.

It wasn't fair that Alois got to marry who he wished. He was stuck with Elizabeth from a young age. Don't get him wrong, he loved his cousin but he never really wanted to marry her.

He sometimes wished that his parents hadn't arranged the marriage before their death. Perhaps he would have been able to find real love?

Perhaps he could have had her..

But it didn't matter now. Nothing can be changed and he can't go back in time to save his parents, Ciel had learned that long ago.

Sorry that the chapter is so short but I hope you enjoyed it anyways! So what present would you like to give Alois for Christmas? See you in the next update!

Ciao!~