Chapter Twenty Four

Alois stood up, holding Y/n to his chest bridal style. She gasped gripping his soaked shirt tightly. She had not expected him to pick her up so suddenly.

She looked up at him, confusion written all over her face. He just grinned back at her.

"I think I quite like this position." Alois said, his grip on Y/n tightening.

"I'm sure you do," she replied sarcastically, "will you put me down now?"

The way he smirked at her question made her nervous.

"Wait Alois- !!" Her body landed in the water with a splash. Alois laughed, looking down at the drenched maiden.

"Alois, that was really unessessary!"

"Was it unessessary? Maybe. Hilarious? Most definitely."

Y/n groaned, glaring at the laughing Earl. A slow, hidden smirk spread across her lips. She quickly looked down at her lap.

"Now I'll most likely catch a cold," she sniffed a bit, using her amazing actress skills she had acquired over the years, "my father won't let me out of the mansion. I won't be able to go on any dates, or even see you in general for that matter."

Alois stopped laughing.

"Wait, don't catch a cold! I'm sorry! I'll get Claude to get you something to dry off with!" Alois kneeled in front of her, his expression panicked and concerned.

Y/n was a bit surprised at how quick his attitude changed, but then thought back to all the other times something similar to this has happened.

She gasped when Alois picked her up once more, climbing out of the lake and going back to their picnic spot. He set her down on the blanket gently. Alois moved the wet strands of hair out of her face, still looking concerned.

Yuma rolled his eyes, smirking. He took off his coat, wrapping it around his soaked Mistress. Y/n looked up at her butler, eyes shining with gratitude.

"I'm sorry," Alois mumbled, looking towards the ground. He knew he tended to take things a bit to far, but old habits die hard.

Y/n switched her gaze back to him and gently cupped his cheek, turning his head so that he was facing her.

"I was just joking Alois, I've been having a wonderful time with you, don't go ruining it with your sour mood."

Alois smiled at her words.

"Besides, I think you're the one who is going to catch a cold now." Y/n said, eyes traveling over his drenched clothes that were clinging to his body as if it was a second skin.

Alois leaned into the hand that still cupped his cheek, savoring the warmth.

"I'll be fine," he insisted, "but if you're really that worried I guess you'll just have to keep me warm." His tone was dripping with mischief, eyes shining in amusement.

"Only in your dreams." Y/n said, her hand dropping away from his cheeks as she turned away with burning ones. Alois chuckled.

"I like this side of you, so expressive. What changed?"

Y/n looked back at him, cheeks still burning with heat.

"Well, for starters, there was a Earl at my side always insisting that I show more emotions," Alois smiled, "second, said Earl never left me alone about it. I guess I'm just used to your presence now."

He grinned. Y/n quickly avoided his eyes. Alois stared at her expression, startled when she suddenly jumped.

She leaned over to Alois, still looking off into the forest, and whispered excitedly, "Look, there is a fox staring right at us."

Alois quickly redirected his gaze to the direction she was staring at, smilimg when he saw the fox.

"This is so exciting, I have always loved foxes," Alois grinned.

"I have always loved butterflies."

Y/n looked back up at the blind Earl, a smile on her lips.

"Butterflies? How charmimg."

"There's nothing charming about it, they just remind me of the loved one that I have lost so I keep them near to my heart."

She placed her hand on top of his, touched that he had shared something of such great importance with her.

"My mother was fascinated by foxes. When I was younger I often had dreams that this beautiful fox with two tails would visit and play with me."

"Mommy! Mommy where are you?" A six year old Y/n ran around the estate garden, looking for her mother.

A small yip caught the young girls attention. She turned towards the sound and forgot all about searching for her mother. She giggled with excitement, walking over to the lone fox with two tails.

He was beautiful. Instead of his fur being red or white, it was black. The top of his face, one of his paws, and the tip of one of his tails were white. The tips of his ears were red, along with his second tail.

His two tails swayed calmly, luring the child closer. She reached out and gripped his fluffy cheeks, giggling once more.

"Your so pwetty! Good doggy!" The fox seemed to roll his eyes at the girl.

"That is a fox, My love." Avery said, kneeling down and petting the creatures head.

"Box?" Y/n asked, tilting her head. Avery laughed softly.

"Fox. And this fox is a friend of mine."

The child looked back at the fox, who gazed back at her with deep grey eyes with burgundy specks.

"Fox!" She wrapped her arms around the foxes slender neck, hugging it. Avery sat next to the fox and her child, smiling.

She whispered, "Thank you, Yuma," even though the butler was no where in sight.

"I bet those were some strange dreams," Alois giggled.

Y/n looked over to where the fox was only to see that he was gone.

"They felt so real to me. The dreams stopped when mother died."

Alois frowned but quickly replaced it with a smile.

"I'm glad we learned more about each other."

Y/n looked at him, a small smile gracing her lips.

"Me too."

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you guys have any theorys feel free to drop a comment and share, I would love to hear what you readers think might happen in this book. As always don't forget to comment and vote!

Ciao~