Chapter Fourteen

Alois walked into the room, now only wearing his night clothes. Y/n turned around and frowned when she saw that it was Alois who has entered. But that frown soon disappeared when she noticed that the Earl wouldn't meet her gaze. That, and when she realised that he was visibly shaking.

"I apologize for dinner." He said, still not meeting her gaze.

Y/n turned around fully and walked over to the taller male. She reached up and gently cupped his cheek, not liking the way he flinched at her touch. She turned his face so that he was looking at her fully, the frown once again resting on her face.

"Have you..." She gazed into his slightly swollen, red eyes. "Have you been crying?"

Alois closed his eyes, wanting to avoid her watchful eyes. "I'm sorry..." He mumbled once more. "Please don't leave me."

"Leave you?" Y/n asked, her eyes widening in surprise.

Lightning flashed across the sky, illuminating the dimly lit room, the sound of thunder soon following after. Alois flinched at the noise, and took a quick intake of breath that Y/n didn't fail to notice.

"I was only upset Alois. I wasn't going to demand to never see you again. People get angry."

He didn't say anything, only flinching when another thunderous boom sounded across the night sky once more.

Y/n frowned. Alois had gone from shaking to trembling. Was he really that scared she was going to leave him? No, that can't be it. Only when another flash of lightning followed by a boom of thunder did Y/n realise.

She quickly moved her hands to cover his ears, pulling his head down so that their forheads were connecting. Alois' eyes shot open and he stared at Y/n.

She just gave him a tiny, reassuring smile. "It will be alright Alois. Just close your eyes and block out the sound."

Tears gathered in Alois eyes. Even though he was so mean to her earlier, she still tries to help him.

"Why?" Alois croaked out, closing his eyes once again. "I was so horrible to you earlier. You should've just demanded to go home. Even now you should just throw me out of your room and tell me to quit being such a baby."

Y/n shook her head. "Nobody deserves to be alone in their time of need. Even if you were a bloody asshole to me, I would never just let you suffer alone."

Alois cracked a smile. "Thank you." He whispered brokenly.

Y/n gently led him to her temporary bed and sat down. "You can stay with me till the storm let's up." She said as she got under the covers.

Alois quickly joined her under the covers, screwing his eyes shut when another boom sounded. Tears steadily leaked from his eyes.

"You can.." Y/n looked away, a light pink dusting her cheeks, thankful it was to dark for Alois to see, even if he was looking. "You can hold on to me if you need to."

Alois immediately wraps his arms around her waist and buried his face in the crook of her neck, no longer holding back his tears. Y/n rubbed soothing shapes and patterns into his back.

Y/n took slow and steady breaths, thinking about what Hannah had told her. From what she could tell, Alois was a lot like her. Sad, lost, scared. He just needs someone in his life who actually cares for him, someone to be there when he needs them, someone to vent to.

Y/n held him closer, noting how he was very slowly calming down. The question was, did she want to be that someone for him? She felt a sharp pain in her chest knowing that Alois was going through things and had nobody there for him.

That settles it. Even if she ends up not wanting to marry him, she'll be there for him when he needs her. She'll be his friend. With that thought in mind Y/n took a deep breath and started to softly sing.

"I see your monsters, I see your pain
Tell me your problems, I’ll chase them away"

Alois' breathing gradually began to return to a normal rate.

"I’ll be your lighthouse
I’ll make it okay"

He clinged to her tighter, tears slowly coming to a stop.

"When I see your monsters
I’ll stand there so brave
And chase them all away,"

His violent tremors calmed down to a light shake causing Y/n to smile softly.

She moved a hand and gently ran her fingers through his platinum blond hair, the other hand still rubbing patterns into his back.

"In the dark we we
We stand apart we we
Never see that the things that we need are staring right at us
You just want to hide hide hide
Hide never show your smile smile
Stand alone when you need someone it’s the hardest thing of all
That you see are the bad bad bad
Bad memories take your time and you’ll find me"

Alois smiled. "I think that resembled you more then it did me.." He mumbled into her shoulder.

Y/n hummed. "How so?"

"Your the one that hides and never smiles."

"I'll give you that, but a least it calmed you down."

Alois nodded. It was still lightning and thundering outside, but he felt safe. It most likely had something to do with the beautiful woman in his arms that he was shamelessly clinging to.

"Please don't make me leave."

"You can stay here all night if need be."

Alois nodded, slowly nodding off to sleep. Y/n closed her eyes tiredly, she never knew it could be so taxing to be someone else's emotional support. That is going to take some getting used to.

But she would do it all over again just to make sure Alois was okay.

Wow, two updates on the same day? *pats my back* good job me. Once again thanks for reading! See you in the next chapter!

Ciao~