Chapter 34

Kix stepped out. That alone was enough to silence all those standing in the hallway.

By now, it was not only Anakin, Lou and Rex. But all torrents, two dozen other clones and even Admiral Yularen. 

"How is she?" Anakin asked anxiously.

"Which message do you want first, sir, the good or the bad?"

"The bad"

"She has suffered severe cuts, some of them infected, is extremely malnourished, has apparently been tortured with electricity frequently, has damage to her eyes, countless bruises, some burns, a few broken ribs, been memory wiped, she has a deep light saber wound and she has lost a lot of blood"

No one said anything. Everybody stared at Kix in disbelief after that list.

Finally Anakin found his words again. "And... the good?"

"It won't kill her"

They all gave a sigh of relieve.

"I can't say how long it will take her to recover, only that it will be a long time.  Plus I can't say if her eyesight or memories ever return. But she will survive."

The young Jedi nodded. Now all he had to do was make sure she didn't...

He did not want to think about it.

"Can I see her?" he asked Kix carefully, who nodded.

But before Anakin could take a step inside, Lou had passed him and was at Ahsokas side.

Anakin went after her and sat down at the side of his Padawan.

He didn't dare to say how much he had missed her while Lou was there but he knew that he didn't have to say it anyway.

Lou looked at the girl and gently stroked her across the lekku. Careful of the wounds, as always.

The poor Togruta had to endure so much. She thought to herself.

And forgot that she herself had also suffered.

All that mattered to her now was that Ahsoka got better quickly. The only person in the whole galaxy that Lou trusted.

She would have loved to tell the young Togruta that, but first off Ahsoka wasn't awake, second off didn't remember Lou, and third off the older Jedi was still in the room.

Who Lou didn't want to talk in front of, like in front of everyone else.

Except Ahsoka.

She saw his look and slowly moved away. Went to the door.

Looked back at Ahoska. She was safe with him.

Safer than with her.

Not that Lou would go far away. She would wait outside the door until she could get back in.

At the slave owner's house, Ahsoka had watched over Lou, gave her water when she was dying of thirst.

And now Lou would watch over Ahsoka. Protecting her while she was unconscious.

Even though that would be of little use with Lou's poor self-defense skills.

Even if the blue-skinned teenage girl would do it for no one else in the entire universe.

She would even give her life for Ahsoka, she suddenly realized.

Although she would have given anything for a life of freedom just a few weeks ago, she would immediately sacrifice everything for a girl she barely knew.

Crazy world.