Chapter 81

The next morning began very gently.

Instead of her hyperactive sister, she was awakened by the clinking of dishes that someone was cleaning in the next room.

Ahsoka rubbed her blind eyes and pushed the blanket aside.

She felt much better already.

Slowly, she stood up. Even her rib was already feeling okay again. Or she had simply gotten used to the pain again.

She guessed the latter. Carefully she walked towards the clattering dishes, relying on her senses to avoid the furniture.

Silently she thanked that strange force within her for helping her, then she ran into the door.

She had lived in the tree so long that it must have somehow slipped her mind that doors had to be opened first.

She felt for the controlpanel, but quickly realized that there was none.

The door, however, had long since opened from the other side.

Opposite to her stood the grayish silhouette of an older, and somewhat plump, woman.

"You're already awake," the lady greeted her happily.

"Do you want some breakfast? Come sit down" she said friendly, and led Ahsoka to a bench.

Ahsoka sat down on it.

Shortly after, she heard something being placed on the table in front of her.

The woman carefully took her hand and gently on the side of the plate, so Ahsoka felt its edge and knew where it was.

"Thank you..." she murmured, feeling around briefly until she found the bread.

It was a grainy loaf with something greasy spread on it, but it smelled good.

Carefully, Ahsoka lifted it up and bit into it.

"You really need to eat something. You look half starved." the woman stated, almost indignantly.

Ahsoka said nothing to that, she just enjoyed the bread.

"Thomas already told me that you don't remember so well, but what kind of people were you living with? To let a child starve like that..." she added.

"I don't know," Ahsoka muttered.

"I remember two suns and desert. But it's all so weird. It's only been really clear since I woke up in the meadow." Ahsoka explained between bites.

The woman snorted. "Well good that my husband found you. You're safe here, girl. Don't worry" she promised her before putting something in front of her and guiding Ahsoka's hand there again.

"You should drink something too" she said, now calmer again.

Ahsoka put the bread aside and grabbed the cup.

It contained milk, she realized, as the drink trickled down her throat.

Warm milk.

It tasted wonderful.

Ahsoka finished her breakfast in peace.

It looked like she had been really lucky.

More luck than one could probably have.

She smiled and thanked warmly, which was accepted just as warmly by the woman.

"Osane will be here any minute. She will take care of those injuries" the woman explained, then she turned to the dishes.