Chapter 52

The next morning, Gil picked Ahsoka up in her quarters.

She was already awake, knotting the last strings she had into a small figurine.

The butterfly rested in her pocket.

"Are you coming?" asked Gil. She nodded and stood up.

He walked her to the cantine. At the door, he said goodbye and explained to her that he had very, very important things to do.

Once he was sure that the Togruta was firmly convinced he would rather stay with her, but had no choice, he left. Ahsoka entered the cantine. Alone.

Anakin was immediately with her. He put a hand on her shoulder and smiled at her.

Ahsoka flinched back.

"General? I have the food for the little one here."

The Jedi nodded and carefully led Ahsoka to the table.

The Togruta did not resist. Obeyed his order to eat without resistance.

Better said, she stared at the food while she carefully took something on her fork.

She had a bad feeling.

But her master had ordered her to, so the girl put the fork in her mouth and ate slowly.

She had the feeling that everything would turn over in her stomach.

Her master watched her all the time.

Did he enjoy watching her choke down the stuff?

Had he put something in there that made her want to spit it out?

Food had always been the brief ray of hope of the awful days.

Did he want to take that away from her now, too?

She ate another forkful of the disgusting food before her stomach finally couldn't take it anymore.

She could only just suppress the reflex to puke, when the little bit of food she had just eaten almost came up again.

Her master was still staring at her.

Did he want her to throw up in front of everyone?

Tears came to her eyes. She had thought for one, one tiny moment that she could trust him, when Lou had told her....

But that moment had passed. She stood up and rushed out of the room without thinking about possible consequences.

She barely found a bathroom before throwing up the food again.

It wasn't much, but she kept retching anyway.

Her stomach hurt incredibly and tears obscured her vision when she suddenly felt a hand on her back.

She wheeled around.

Kneeling in front of her was Gil, his face lined with concern.

"I saw you running away. Are you all right?"

she shook her head wordlessly, but he seemed to understand even so.

"The food?"

She nodded. The haze of tears grew again, and quiet sobs escaped her.

"He... he watched... as if he would find it funny... he..."

Gil gently took her in his arms and stroked her back soothingly.

"I...I thought I c...could trust him. I...I thought I was fin...finally safe!" the teen sobbed.

"I know kid.... I'm so so sorry."