Chapter 40

After the experience in the canteen Ahsoka needed several hours to calm down. It was just too much for her, and as soon as she was out of the boys' sight, she was sitting in a corner, trembling.

Lou could understand her only too well.

Even if she herself had understood that these people were not superior to her, she had instinctively been afraid of being punished if she did something wrong.

And there had been so many people, so also so much that she could have done wrong.

Now she sat again with Ahsoka in the medical station.

After she had not managed to calm Ahsoka down, she had at least gotten her to ask the Jedi if they could have some wool.

The Jedi had agreed and given them something.

They had not much, after all they were on a battle cruiser.

But a little bit of string had been able to find.

With the little bit Lou tried to teach Ahsoka how to weave small figures.

Of course, that was relatively difficult, considering the fact that Ahsoka's vision was still blurry.

Yet, it was an extremely calming activity, as Lou knew, and Ahsoka was just discovering.

She had to concentrate hard on it, which drove all uninvited thoughts from her mind.

Only Lou's explanations and the strings still had room in them.

Lou watched her smiling and wove in another thread at her figure.

Ahsoka was still at the very beginning. She had chosen a flower.

It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but she liked it.

Lou made a butterfly.

She had also explained to Ahsoka how other figures were made, to make clear that there were also simpler ones.

Ahsoka had listened carefully, and seemed to have memorized every single word, but she had still decided on the complicated but beautiful flower.

And even if she was slow, since she could barely see, Lou hadn't even had to correct her once.

"You are a natural talent" Lou now praised the young Togruta.

"Really?" asked Ahsoka, an incredulous but proud smile creeping onto her face.

"Yes really. You're much better than I was when I started."

The Togruta's proud smile grew.

"Thank you" she said. Even though very silent.

"You don't have to thank me."

"No?"

"No."

"Okay."

Again there was a brief silence, during which Lou wove in the last of the butterfly's ribbons.

It had a pitch black body, and simple but beautiful pale blue wings.

The color choice was more of a coincidence, after all, she hadn't had much choice, but still she was pleased with the result.

Despite its simplicity and clarity, the little butterfly was one of her best works.

And she had made many, with wool stolen from her former master.

Oh yes she had always been good at stealing little things that no one cared about.

That was probably why Rytho had judged her to be rebellious.

"For you. So you always remember me" Lou said and gave Ahsoka the butterfly.