Chapter 53

They sat there on the floor for quite a while.

Until Gil's comlink came on. He activated it, and the message he had stored earlier played.

"Gil," Rex's voice rang out. It had taken him a long time to piece together the message from his words.

They both looked to the com.

"If you see the little brat. Take her to the training room. I need to talk to her."

Ahsoka looked to Gil, frightened. Her head was rattling. Because she couldn't connect the harsh sentences from the comlink, with the soft brown eyes of Rex. He had been so nice... why did they all betray her...?

She sobbed softly.

'Rex' seemed to have heard that. "Wasn't that her? Bring her here."

The young Togruta winced.

"Yes, sir" Gil returned into the comlink, emphasizing the 'sir'.

It worked. Ahsoka fled into his arms. She still thought he was on her side.

"Listen. I can't make anything so that you don't have to go there little one. But I'm going to get some stuff while you're in there that's going to help you afterwards, okay?"

She nodded.

"I...I can find my way b...by myself,"

she muttered.

He walked her to just before the last corner, then disappeared into another hallway.

And came back again. With Rex's armor.

He did not dare to take off his helmet, nor to talk.

He knew she could tell their faces and voices apart, even if they seemed exactly the same.

He just grabbed her by the shoulder and shoved her rudely into the room.

"Rex?" she peeped, startled.

He didn't answer. Instead, he let go of her. He needed his hand to close the door afterall.

Then he kicked her against the wall.

She cried out. More from surprise than from pain.

Slowly. Very slowly, Gil stepped toward her.

Fear sparkled in her eyes.

Unbridled fear.

Not of being punched or kicked or hurt. Fear of Rex.

He knew that deep down she trusted Rex, simply because even if she couldn't remember consciously, she still just knew things.

And Rex had protected her, looked out for her.

She couldn't get it into her head that he was hurting her now.

And that scared her, he could see it in her eyes.

And he struck. Again. And again.

Tears ran out of her eyes.

Oh yes. He had something for them, too.

Slowly he reached into his pocket.

He knew she hated it when she couldn't see. And he knew that it had slowly but surely improved.

But not for long.

One hand he pressed over Ahsoka's mouth to keep her from screaming, but also to keep her head turned in his direction.

With the other, he pulled out the small spray bottle he had prepared.

She looked at him with wide, frightened blue eyes and began an attempt to free herself.

He briefly released his hand from her mouth and punched her in the stomach.

That ended her struggles to get free, and he went on with his plan.