Chapter 86

Ahsoka nodded. Berry picking sounded great.

With one leap, she jumped from the tree.

Luca followed.

He smiled slightly as he looked at the girl from behind while she ran in front of him.

She was so nice. And so different from the kids from the city up the hill.

She seemed so innocent, and at the same time, so deeply scarred.

He decided that he would make sure she was safe now.

He would protect her.

No one would be coming past him to hurt her anymore.

He brushed his hand over a bush as he passed.

She was safe here.

On the farm almost nothing happened. At most, here and there a bird attacked them, but his father protected the family from that.

A family, to which he counted her after this one day already.

Two days, considering the time she laid unconscious on the sofa.

The two arrived at a berry bush and began to pick the sweet treat.

Ahsoka was very good at it, and never once pricked herself on the thorns.

He, who had been picking berries for years, did get pricked.

But he didn't mind, he already knew how to do it. The thorns were the price for the berries.

"Try one" he said to the girl.

Ahsoka smiled and put one in her mouth.

It tasted sugary sweet and wonderful.

She smiled.

"We can't carry all the berries home anyway, we don't have a basket with us. So eat as many as you want" he said. Ahsoka immediately complied with the request.

Luca did the same. Together they sat in the forest. Laughing, eating berries. And he told her stories.

Fairy tales he knew from his parents.

Things he had heard in the city.

Pranks he had played.

He had stories of endless days in the forest and of short ones in the fast city.

And each time he made sure to tell as much as he could about the surroundings. To create vivid images in the Togruta's mind.

So that she could see, even if her eyes were still milky white.

What color were they really? He did not know. She probably didn't either.

Had she always been blind?

In between, he would interject his stories with such questions, which the two would then ponder, exchanging ideas until they came up with the most unreal stories and threw themselves backwards into the grass laughing.

Ahsoka may have lost one golden world, but she had found another.

Luca couldn't help but be happy at the smile on the teenager's face.

She had a laugh that was contagious. That made everything around her shine and fill with joy and lightness.

It was a beautiful moment.

A moment as safe and untouchable as only children could experience it.

A moment that shut out all worries and allowed nothing but joy.

One of those that shone in the memories for a lifetime, like a beautiful sparkling star.