Chapter 55

Gil had taken her to her quarters. He had told her to rest, but that was far from what Ahsoka was doing now.

She sat cross-legged in her quarters and thought.

Her trust was broken, only Gil could she still call her friend.

Gil, and Lou.

But Lou was dead.

Was that also the fault of the people here?

Yes, of course! It flashed through her mind.

But then she took a breath and thought. She had no proof of that.

It could be, but it didn't have to be. She couldn't jump to conclusions. She couldn't generalize.

She didn't want to be like them, which meant she couldn't assume prejudice.

She had to take the facts. And not decide out of fear.

Calmness slowly grew in her.

It flowed from her thoughts, through her heart, and then spread throughout her body.

She noticed that her breathing remained even, without her having to concentrate on it anymore. The pain that ran through her body became paler and paler.

A smile stretched across her face.

This time the heat was not that of a fire. It didn't burn through her, but it was like a soft veil, warming her and protecting her from the harshness of reality.

It seemed like a dream world to her, as something spread out before her, whose beauty she could hardly comprehend.

Slowly Ahsoka let herself sink further into it.

It felt like something familiar was stretching out around her.

No... it was stretching inside of her. It flowed through the galaxy like a river, and she was part of the water in it.

Only a small one, but it was a nice feeling to belong to something bigger.

And that something? It accepted her. It respected her. No, even more.

It valued her, as a part of itself, as a part of everything.

And it accepted her as something that was worth to exist.

Suddenly, it didn't mind at all that she couldn't see.

She didn't mind that everything she remembered was pain and suffering.

Because she had a future. And she could change it.

When she opened her eyes, the blackness had lost its finality.

She saw nothing, but she sensed.

This strange force not only flowed through her, it flowed through everything. And when Ahsoka stood up, she realized she no longer needed her eyes.

It was as if the final loss of her sight had turned something on inside her.

No, it had already been there.

It freed. It liberated again.

She was complete again. And she had her hope back.

Like rays of pure light, it pulsed through her, giving her strength and energy.

This moment, this was the moment when the fearful slave girl became a brave Jedi again.

The moment when Ahsoka Tano, became Ahsoka Tano again.

With or without memories.

She was herself.