Chapter 12

She hissed as the door opened.

Ahsoka uttered a sigh of relief.

She had made it.

Now the next problem.

Running.

Her legs barely supported her weight, which had probably dropped considerably.

But then she felt someone put her arm over their shoulder.

"Together," Lou said.

Ahsoka sensed the honest hope rising in the teenager.

"Together," she replied.

And so they moved forward. Slowly, so Ahsoka wouldn't fall, but they did.

Then came the scanner.

Careful not to set off any alarms.

It worked. A faint beeping noise told them that the scanner was disabled. Together they went on.

Always careful not to make noise, not to attract attention.

But even Lou was exhausted and could hardly support Ahsoka.

If they stayed in one place for too long, the danger of being discovered would be too great.

Then Ahsoka suddenly came up with a saving idea.

She could have almost slapped herself in the face for not thinking of it earlier.

"The air vents."

Lou nodded, which Ahsoka could guess more than she could see.

Lou climbed into one of them and helped Ahsoka carefully to get in.

Then Ahsoka put the grate back on and the two of them crawled forward carefully.

The young Togruta, however, pulled herself forward more with her arms because that way, she didn't have to strain her legs as much.

"You won't believe what I found," Lou suddenly said, but Ahsoka didn't even have to hear what it was.

Because she had already smelled it. It smelled like fresh delicious bread and sweet Shuura jam.

Lou crawled forward a bit, so Ahsoka came to the exit if the air vent.

The Jedi could still only see blurry, but it worked to find out where the food was.

Quick as a flash, she had taken it with the Force.

The two could hardly believe their luck.

They had actually got hold of something to eat.

Lou carefully tore off a piece of the soft, still warm bread, drizzled some of the jam up and gave it to Ahsoka.

She took a bite immediately, and enjoyed the feeling of food in her mouth. Lou also ate something.

But as nice as it was. The two had not eaten for so long that they could barely take two bites before their stomachs protested.

So they tore the bread in half and each of them hid something under their clothes.

Even if they were caught again, no one would take the bread from them.

Because who would take something away that they didn't know about? Quietly and with renewed strength they crawled on. Towards freedom.

But once again an obstacle stood in their way.

The air vent ended on the outside of the building, but not outside the fence that surrounded the place.

Carefully they left the shaft and crept to the gate.

Freedom was within their grasp, but they couldn't to rush.

Ahsoka's hope was now so great that it threatened to tear her apart.

But then: "There! Two of the slaves! They are trying to escape! Catch them! Catch them!"