Chapter 65

She decided that she could do it that way.

If she just lived in the moment, she didn't have to remember.

It was best that way.

She stood up, and dragged herslef barefoot through the forest.

A smile played around her lips as she felt soft moss under the soles of her feet.

It was a pleasant feeling.

So... what was her next problem?

Food? Yes, she was hungry. But she was used to it, and even though her stomach must have knotted around itself five times in pain, there was something else that she missed even more.

This feeling. This security, this connection, to that which she could not describe.

This sense that the dark man had taken from her.

A huge hole was where that power was once, and she felt just half and torn without.

She wanted it back. That connectedness. That part of herself.

But how?

He had said, after all, that there was no way for her to ever get it back again.

That she had lost it for the rest of her life.

On the other hand... who said he was telling the truth? It could just as well be that he had lied to her, like all the others.

Without further ado, she sat down on the floor.

Her legs crossed her blind eyes closed.

Underneath her was still soft moss, but this time along with a few fine bits of grass, and flowers that brushed pleasantly around her legs.

She focused.

She could hear the forest around her.

The birds sitting in the canopy of the trees, chirping happily.

The wind that made everything around her rustle, and also brushed past her with a cool hand.

The river, which where she was, was only to be heard as a light rushing.

Animals that stroked through the bushes, and branches that cracked under their paws.

The forest soothed her wounded spirit, and at last she felt the peace she needed.

Here was the forest.

Here she was safe.

Here she could finally rest, and get down.

And the calmer she became, the more she began to hear.

The beating of birds' heart.

The breath of an animal at the edge of the clearing.

The clearing. She felt the sun shining warm from above.

She felt it on her arms, her lekku, her back.

She enjoyed it, trying to absorb the energy of the sunlight. The energy, but also the gentleness, and the peace it brought to this mild day.

She not only heard, she also felt.

And she could smell the forest.

The woody scent of the trees, and the soft thin of the flowers.

The fresh of the grass, and the sweet of the berries.

In the darkness before her eyes, an image slowly took shape.

A picture more beautiful than she could have seen with her eyes.

In her mind, an image of pale blue clear sky, and  cotton soft clouds was forming.

The trees were bright green, and sparkled with life, the grass was in no way inferior to them.